PDA

View Full Version : Writing Literature Reviews

dsmith94
01-14-2011, 03:24 AM
This year I am running the taught part of our students' Honours Project course and we will be discussing how to search the literature and write a proper review of the literature next week. I have been scouting around the internet to see what resources are available and found several very informative websites.

A particularly good one is at the University of Southern Maine, which presents the information in the form of a interactive tutorial that includes some quizzes. It takes a little time to complete but I think students at all levels would find it to be useful.

Here's the link: http://library.usm.maine.edu/tutorials/esp/index.htm

enelson-wong97
01-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Hi Drew - thanks for posting. I think this could be a valuable resource for my entry-level physical therapy students. I have tried a couple of times to go through the tutorial though, and it crashes during the second module. Were you able to complete the entire thing when you looked at it? I tried to report it to their webmaster, but that also resulted in a dead URL. So it may not be a viable resource unfortunately.

Erika Nelson-Wong, PT, DPT, PhD
Assistant Professor
School of Physical Therapy
Regis University
3333 Regis Blvd.
Denver, CO 80221

dsmith94
01-17-2011, 12:18 AM
Hi Drew - thanks for posting. I think this could be a valuable resource for my entry-level physical therapy students. I have tried a couple of times to go through the tutorial though, and it crashes during the second module. Were you able to complete the entire thing when you looked at it? I tried to report it to their webmaster, but that also resulted in a dead URL. So it may not be a viable resource unfortunately.

Erika, thanks for sharing your experience. I did manage to complete the tutorial, but I did kind of skip around a bit in the interests of time.

I will try to post a few more 'good' ones that I find. This is a skill that is not easy to teach or learn but is just so valuable. Too often we send students off to the library (virtual or not) assuming that they have a clear idea what to do, but I don't think they really do understand. It is quite a leap in comprehension to go from a kind of listing of findings from various studies to a cohesive and objective appraisal of a body of literature.

enelson-wong97
01-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Drew - It was crashing because on one of the pages in Module 2 the author left out the .htm on the URL - type that in and it works.

Much of the information in Module 2 is specific to USM's library system, but it definitely shows a really nice way of creating articulates for how to access and use our own library system. We teach this in a didactic manner now in the PT student's first term, but I find when it comes time for them to write their research proposal in their 3rd term they struggle. I agree also that they do not really understand what a good literature review should entail - often times they will pull and summarize articles that are very peripherally related to their research question but that don't really add anything important to understanding their specific question/study.

Thanks again - great resource!

Erika

kford48
01-18-2011, 09:46 AM
Hi Drew - I used these resources during teaching a similar topic in a research methods course:

Presentation
McCaw ST, Basics of Peer Review, Preseneted at ACSM Biomechanics Interest Group 2008. www.castonline.ilstu.edu/mccaw

Articles
Brand RA, Huiskes R. Structural outline of an archival paper for the Journal of Biomechanics. J Biomech. 2001;34:1371-1374.
Wright TM, Buckwalter JA, Hayes WC. Writing for the Journal of Orthopaedic Research. J Orthop Res. 1999;17(4):459-466.
Delwiche FA, Hall EF. Mapping the literature of athletic training. J Med Libr Assoc. Apr 2007;95(2):195-201.

Books
Portney LG, Watkins MP. Foundations of clinical research : applications to practice. 3rd ed. Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Pearson/Prentice Hall; 2009.
Peat JK. Scientific writing : easy when you know how. London: BMJ Books; 2002.

"What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure" - Samuel Johnson

dsmith94
01-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Kevin,

Thanks for contributing to this thread. Steve McCaw's powerpoint file is quite insightful. The other references are appreciated.

viniltc
07-09-2013, 06:46 AM
Thank you so much for your kind information. It helped me a lot during my masters mini project.