PDA

View Full Version : Some idiot on your system

Mitchell Gil Maltenfort
07-02-1994, 03:04 AM
To the people responsible for maintaining Compuserve accounts:

Please deal with the idiot who sent this chain letter. If it isn't
Mark Ryan, find out who's using his system. Thank you.

Mitch Maltenfort

>Date: Sat, 2 Jul 1994 09:41:52 EDT
>Sender: Biomechanics and Movement Science listserver
>
>From: Mark Ryan
>Subject: E A S Y C A S H ! ! !
>To: Multiple recipients of list BIOMCH-L
>
>SUBJECT: EASY CASH INFO - SAVE THIS FILE!
>
>PERSONAL NOTE: ( I HAVE SEEN THIS TYPE OF LETTER MANY TIMES AND HAVE
> FLUSHED THE CONCEPT, BUT I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN CURIOUS.
> I HAVE DECIDED TO SPEND FIVE DOLLARS TO SATISFY MY
> CURIOUSITY. I AM SURE THAT THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE
> THAT HAVE THE SAME CURIOUSITY LEVEL AS MYSELF, I FEEL
> THAT WORST CASE I WILL AT LEAST BREAK EVEN, AND WILL
> FIND OUT FIRST HAND ABOUT THIS TYPE OF THING.)

>have received well over $50,000.00 cash, all yours. This program
>has remained successful because of the honesty and integrity of the
>participants. Please continue its success by carefully adhering to
>the instructions.
>
>Welcome to the world of Mail Order!
>

>This little business is a little different than most mail order
>houses. Your product is not solid and tangible, but rather a service.
>Basically you are in the business of developing Mailing Lists.
>Many large corporations are happy to pay big bucks for quality lists.
>

>(The money made from the mailing lists are secondary to the
>income which is made from people like yourself requesting that
>they be included in that list.)
>

> 1) Immediately mail $1.00 to the first 5 names listed
> below starting at number 1 through number 5. Send cash only
> please (total investment $5.00). Enclose a note with each
> letter stating: "Please add my name to your mailing list."
>
> (This is a legitimate service that you are requesting
> and you are paying $1.00 for this service).
>

> 2) REMOVE the name that appears as number 1 on the list.
> Move the other 9 names up one position. (Number 2 will
> become number 1 and number 3 will become number 2, etc.)
> Place your name, address and zip code in the number 10
> position.
>
> (Please DO NOT put yourself in the 5th position to
> start. You will NOT make more than $50 this way because
> of the way this service is set up. You start at 10 and
> when your name reachs 5th, you should already be on
> thousands of lists.)
>

> 3) Post the new letter with your name in the number 10
> position into 10 (Ten) separate bulletin boards in the
> message base or to the file section, call the file,
> MAKE$$,FASTCASH,FAST$$ or EASYCASH.
>

> 4) Within 60 days you will receive over $50,000.00 in
> CASH. Keep a copy of this file for yourself so that you can
> use it again and again whenever you need money. As soon as
> you mail out these letters you are automatically in the mail
> order business and people are sending you $1.00 to be placed
> on your mailing list. This list can then be rented to a list
> broker that can be found in the Yellow Pages for additional
> income on a regular basis. The list will become more
> valuable as it grows in size. This is a service. This is
> [...]

Mitchell Gil Maltenfort Northwestern University Chicago, Illinois

Computers are like puppies - willing and eager to obey, but unless
everything is explained to them in puppy terms, they *will* make a mess on
the floor.