PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder and Elbow torques during normal walking (Urgent Help)

bhejrati24
02-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Hi everyone,

I am designing an arm swing device. As one of the steps toward designing, I have modeled the arm swing roughly as a double pendulum. what I need to know is what are applied torques by muscles (or other parts) at shoulder and elbow joints when we are moving? Is there any kind of torque trajectory out there so I can use Forward dynamics and calculate joint angles based on them?

I really appreciate it if someone has an idea about arm swing during walking and share it with me.

Regards,

Babak hejrati

jrasmussen56
02-04-2011, 04:12 AM
Hi Babak,

It is very easy to do this in the AnyBody Modeling System. I simply took the full-body gait model, removed the muscles (hence it is driven by joint moments, see attached picture), ran the analysis and found flexion/extension moments in the gleno-humeral joint up to 2.6 Nm and flexion/extension moments in the elbow up to 1.4 Nm. My guess is that these are upper limits and may be somewhat over-estimated due to non-smoothness of the motion data the analysis was based on. We should possibly filter the data bit harder. The arms were never the core focus of the gait model, so these data have not been very thoroughly checked before.

Also, the subject is an energetic Frenchman walking rather briskly.

I hope this might help you.

Cheers,
John

bhejrati24
02-04-2011, 05:49 PM
Thank you for the help,

I personally think that there is a gap in the literature here. Recently, there has been a number of studies which suggest that arm swing plays a role in gait rehabilitation due to neural pathways between leg movements and arm swing. So, it has to be accounted for in rehabilitation.

Regards,

Babak