PDA

View Full Version : Re: Locomotion energetics and more

avoloshin99
07-06-1994, 11:20 PM
>Date: Thu, 7 Jul 1994 00:28:57 -0400
>Sender: Biomechanics and Movement Science listserver
>
>From: Young Hui Chang
>Subject: Locomotion energetics and more
>To: Multiple recipients of list BIOMCH-L
>
>Hello everyone, I am a recent subscriber and just couldn't wait any longer
>to keep off the bulletin.
>
>I have two primary questions.
>
>(1) The first is that I am trying to design some simple physiology
>laboratories for high school students involving the energetics of
>locomotion. I would like to do a lab on the potential-kinetic exchange
>(i.e., inverted pendulum model) of the terrestrial walk. And also how this
>model 'breaks down' during the walk-run transition (or trot or hop as the
>case may be). I realize this would be somewhat trivial with the use of a
>force plate. However, I would like to keep the lab very low-tech (i.e.,
>easy enough for the average teacher to operate and explain to their
>students within a 45-90 minute period) yet elegant enough for the students
>to understand and be interested. Any suggestions?
>
>(2) The second is more of a personal nature. I am currently finishing my
>M.S. in physiology (after a B.S. in mechanical engineering), and am looking
>for a lab to go to for further study. Ideally, I would like to work on
>locomotion mechanics. I am currently working on the relevance of torsion in

>the forelimbs of brachiating apes. I would like to continue on this theme
>and study torsion of the hindlimbs in bipeds (but am still remaining quite
>open). I already have a decent list of labs I have contacted, but I was
>wondering if anyone I missed was interested in these types of problems and
>had room for one more student.
>
>I will not be posting the responses (to save the majority of you disk
>space). But if you are interested in the responses, please send me a line
>and I will forward them to you.
>
>Thanks in advance to all who respond,
>
>Young Hui
>

>Young Hui Chang, Department of Anatomy, College of Veterinary Medicine,
>Ithaca, NY 14853-6401 607-253-3551
>(yhc3@cornell.edu)

*................................................. ........................*
* " There are no shortcuts to any place worth going....." *
* *
* Professor Arkady Voloshin *
* Department of Mechanical phone: 610-758-4118 *
* Engineering and Mechanics fax: 610-758-6224 *
* Lehigh University email: AV01@LEHIGH.EDU *
* 19 Memorial Drive West *
* Bethlehem, PA 18015 USA *