PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive motion analysis system

lhoglund93
09-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Our developing lab currently has 2 non-conductive Bertec force plates and a Polhemus Liberty motion capture system. We need to acquire software to sync the data from these 2 instruments to conduct biomechanical research. The Motion Monitor System by Innovative Sports Training, Inc. has been recommended. Does anyone have any feedback on the use of this system? Does anyone have any recommendations for relatively inexpensive video-based motion capture systems we could use instead of our Polhemus? I currently have limited funding: $19,000.00.

tseeholzer21
09-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Lisa,

out motion analysis system TEMPLO can acquire analog data together with all kinds of cameras: You can connect multiple HDV (or DV) cameras as well as machine vision cameras, such as Basler with high-resolution or high-speed. Please visit www.contemplas.com (http://www.contemplas.com) to read more.

Users of Peak Motus can also use TEMPLO as a recording system with latest camera technology
(see this thread) (http://biomch-l.isbweb.org/threads/22644-Peak-Motus-camera-problem)

Thomas.

zhao89
09-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Hi Lisa,
We use the MotionMonitor for both in vitro and in vivo data capture with Polhemus and other systems. We purchased it so that users with less technical knowledge can get up and running after a few pilot runs. Let me know if you have specific questions.
Thanks!

siringleb43
09-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Our developing lab currently has 2 non-conductive Bertec force plates and a Polhemus Liberty motion capture system. We need to acquire software to sync the data from these 2 instruments to conduct biomechanical research. The Motion Monitor System by Innovative Sports Training, Inc. has been recommended. Does anyone have any feedback on the use of this system? Does anyone have any recommendations for relatively inexpensive video-based motion capture systems we could use instead of our Polhemus? I currently have limited funding: $19,000.00.

I have been using the MotionMonitor for about 8 years, in my post-doc and now I have two systems in my lab, one is a system with a polhemus liberty and one is with Motion Analysis Eagle cameras. I love having a Motion Monitor System, as it really fits with my research needs. Currently, I use it for data collectin in vitro in the lower extremity and in vivo (with different sensors) for the upper extremity. I like that it has the ISB standard protocols already programmed into the software, plus, it can output just about any form of kinematics that you can think of. It's easy to manipulate the data within the software, but if needed, it's also easy to export rotation matrices, so I can perform my own calculations. Further, working with the company has been really great. They are very responsive to my questions and have even made modifications to the software when it wasn't meeting my needs. I will also say that most of my research does not involve force plates, but I do integrate a six-axis load cell into the motion monitor, potentiometers and often synchronize Novel pressure data (in vitro) with the kinematics. Integrating these into the system is no problem, and I can maipulate signals from my load cell and potentiometers within the software, so there is no need to post-process them.

dsmith94
09-22-2011, 08:13 PM
Lisa,

We've been using The Motion Monitor for a short while now and I am very impressed with how relatively easy it is to analyse data with this software. The original purpose of the purchase was to interface with our Organic Motion BioStage but as well we are using it to analyze data from our BTS Smart-D motion capture system - it is much faster than trying to create protocols in the Smart-D software.

Beyond that, the price and support are excellent. Besides emails, we've had a couple of Skype calls to Chicago that helped us get a lot sorted quickly - they even did the training with us in Hong Kong remotely over the Internet. Can't really say enough about how happy we are with The Motion Monitor.

Good luck, Lisa!

pludewig86
09-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Lisa,

Our lab has been working with the motion monitor system as our primary data collection/analysis system for over 12 years. We have used the system with both polhemus and ascension flock of birds electromagnetic hardware. The software provides a comprehensive set of data collection/analysis options that can then be customized to streamline for project specific needs. Lee Johnson and the company have always been extremely responsive with technical support and very open to new ideas to advance the software capability. I highly recommend them.

Paula Ludewig
The Univeristy of Minnesota

lhoglund93
10-05-2011, 02:49 PM
thanks, everyone! I think I found my system.
Lisa Hoglund
University of the Sciences