PDA

View Full Version : Re: EMG Validity

Colin Ilko Paranchych
09-12-1994, 02:25 AM
Dear Biomch-l subscribers,

About one week ago I requested some information on EMG and the
validity of it. Thanks again for the many replies. My investigation
showed that for my particular situation (using EMG to calcuate muscle
forces while athletes perform hopping and cutting motions) would be
of little use because of the large number of error factors involved.
Here are the list of responses.

Colin Paranchych
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of Alberta
E-Mail:paran@sneezy.mece.ualberta.ca

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 94 11:08:17 +0800
From: ckcheng@ntumc1.mc.ntu.edu.tw (Cheng-Kung
Cheng)
To: PARAN@sneezy.mece.ualberta.ca
Subject: Re: EMG validity

Dear Colin:

I suggest you contact with Professor Shrawan Kumar, Dept.
of Physical Therapy, University of Alberta. If you need
any paper related to EMG and Knee joint, you can look into
Thomas Andriacchi's paper (about 1986).

Good luck !

Cheng-Kung Cheng, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Orthopaedic Biomechanics Lab.
Center for Biomedical Engineering
College of Medicine
National Taiwan University

Date: Wed, 7 Sep 1994 19:48:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dan Ferris
To: COlin Ilko Paranchych

Colin,

Since you are coming from a mechanical engineering background, I
would suggest you start by obtaining the book "Muscles Alive" by
Basmajian and DeLuca. I believe the last printing was the third
edition (1985). This is probably the most basic place to start and
may be too general for your needs but it is a good reference source.

Dan Ferris
Department of Human Biodynamics
University of California
Berkeley, CA

To: paran@sneezy.mece.ualberta.ca
From: "J.W.Tang"
Date: 8 Sep 94 17:33:47
Subject: (Forwarded) emg validity
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 1994 17:15:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: LEEBARNES@delphi.com
Subject: EMG of Lower Limb Muscles
To: paran@sneezy.mece.ualberta.ca

Dear Colin,

I know of two papers published in the Archives of Physical Medicine
and Rehabilitation:

"Computer Algorithms to Characterize Individual Subject EMG Profiles
During Gait", Volume 73, September, 1992, pages 835-841

"A Computer Algorithm for Defining the Group EMG Profile From
Individual EMG Profiles in Gait", Volume 74, March, 1993, pages 286-
291

These papers were written as a result of using a software package
written under the auspices of Dr. Jacquelin Perry at Rancho Los
Amigos Medical Center. The EMG Analyzer software is sold by B & L
Engineering in Santa Fe Springs, CA. Telephone: (310) 903-1219.
Good luck with your study.

Lee Barnes
From: "Manisha Khemlani"
To: COlin Ilko Paranchych ,
PARAN@SNEEZY.MECE.UALBERTA.CA
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 1994 14:05:38 GMT+1000
Hello!

I do have some references on EMG and its validity as I used EMG for
my Masters study. Will try and get the references for you in the
next day or two.

Manisha

"One man with courage makes a majority." -_|\
- Andrew Jackson - /'
\

\_,-._*
Manisha Khemlani v
Brain Injury Unit
Westmead Hospital email: manishak@biru.wh.su.edu.au
Westmead, NSW 2145 voice: +61 2 633 6630
AUSTRALIA fax: +61 2 635 8892
To: PARAN@SNEEZY.MECE.UALBERTA.CA
From: SHUMJMP@pegasus.huddersfield.ac.uk
Date: 8 Sep 1994 9:10:34 +0000

Ive used the following references with respect to my MSc Thesis.
Perhaps they will be of use to you. Let me know how you get on. Jim
Pickard