PDA

View Full Version : Re: A strange disease puzzling Chinese medical community

Bob Norman
02-12-1995, 07:31 AM
I am a biomechanist, not a medical doctor and the following may not be at
all relevant but here goes anyway.

There have been 15 cases in the Province of Ontario, Canada, since Oct.
30, 1994, of a relatively rare infection caused by streptococcal bacteria
run amuck in some people who are vulnerable to certain strains of strep
A. Some people see flesh falling off their bones while others develop
toxic shock. The most famous case in Canada is to Lucien Bouchard, leader
of the Bloc Quebecois political party in Quebec, who lost a leg to the
disease in December and almost died. The bacteria enters through a break
in the skin, start to multiply very fast and attack the flesh, spreading
at up to 2 - 3 cm per hour! It's called necrotizing myositis or
necrotizing fasciitis (flesh eating disease). Symptoms are severe pain in
the infected area then progressive bruising with pustulent bursting up
through the skin and rotting the flesh.

The mechanism is not known for sure, apparently, but it is hypothesized
that the killer strain strep A superantigens stimulate T-cells to produce
excess cytokines and large numbers of antibodies are released and attack
the body instead of the bacteria.

If Dr. Xiangdong Huang has not solved the problem already and if he has
not ruled out necrotizing fasciitis or necrotizing myositis, perhaps he
could contact the Ontario Medical Association, Toronto Ontario, Canada or
the Canadian Medical Association, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, or Drs Donald
Low or Allison McGeer, microbiologists at Mr. Sinai Hospital, Toronto,
Ontario, Canada who are doing research on the disease.

Bob Norman, University of Waterloo, Canada