PDA

View Full Version : Summary - Spine and Pregnancy

Lori Livingston F
02-13-1995, 12:49 AM
Dear Netters,

One week ago I sent the following message to the net in an attempt to
locate information on the biomechanics of the spine during pregnancy. I
am now posting the results of that request to the list.

Thanks to the following individuals who responded to my request:

B. Serpil Acar Loughborough University of Technology (UK)
Ulf P. Arborelius Karolinska Institute (Stockholm, Sweden)
Kim Dwyer Queen's University (Kingston, Canada)
Wendy Gilleard University of Sydney (Australia)
Young Hui Cornell University (Ithaca, NY, USA)
Jill McNitt-Gray University of Southern California (USA)
Johann Molenbroek Delft University of Technology (The Netherlands)
Marina Torre Insituto Superiore di Sanita' (Rome, Italy)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 1995 15:09:53 -0500 (EST)
From: lori livingston F
To: BIOMCH-L@HEARN.nic.SURFnet.nl
Subject: Biomechanics of the Spine and Pregnancy

Dear Netters,

I am passing this request on for a colleague who is not part of the net.
She is interested in gathering material on the topic of the effects of
pregnancy on the spinal column (from a biomechanical point of view). If
you have any journal articles or materials to recommend, please let me
know. I will post a compiled list of the responses.

In addition, one specific reference that she is trying to locate was
listed as a reference in another paper as follows:

Ostgaard, H.C., Andersson, G.B.J., & Karlsson, K. Prevlance of back
pain in pregnancy. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery [Br].
(Submitted, 1989).

Any help with locating information related to the above would be a great
help.

Thanks,

Lori A. Livingston, Ph.D.
Department of Physical Education
Wilfrid Laurier University
75 University Avenue W.
Waterloo, ON
N2L 3C5

e-mail: llivings@mach1.wlu.ca
phone: 519-884-0710, Ext. 4986

Biomechanics of the Spine in Pregnancy

Heckman, J.D., & Sassard, R. (1994). Current concepts review.
Musculoskeletal considerations in pregnancy. Journal of Bone and Joint
Surgery, 76-A, 1720-1730.

McNitt-Gray, J. (1989). In Artal, Drinkwater, & Wiswell (Eds.),
Exercise in pregnancy.

Ostgaard, H.C. et al (1991). Prevalence of back pain in pregancy. Spine,
16, 549-552.

Paul, J.A., Frings-Dresen, MHW. (1994). Standing working posture compared
in pregnant and non-pregnant conditions. Ergonomics, 9, 1563-1575.