PDA

View Full Version : Summary of responses to Shot PutBiomechanics

John Barden
02-21-1995, 07:55 AM
Dear BIOMCH-L'ers:

On Jan. 25th, I posted a request concerning references and information
on the biomechanics of the shot put event. What follows is my original
request and a summary of the responses I received. My thanks to everyone
who replied. The information has been very useful.

John M. Barden

Dear BIOMCH-L readers:

I am looking for some references on the biomechanics of shot putting.
Any information or suggestions are helpful but I am particularly
interested in studies which reported parameters such as the velocity of
the shot at release, the angle of release, joint angle data, total body
centre of mass data, etc.

I will post a summary. Thanks in advance for your help.

John M. Barden
Sport Science Coordinator
Faculty of Physical Activity Studies
University of Regina
Regina, Saskatchewan
CANADA S4S 0A2
Internet: barden@max.cc.uregina.ca

SUMMARY OF RESPONSES
********************

Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 17:32:49 -0700
To: barden@max.cc.uregina.ca
From: l.abraham@mail.utexas.edu (Larry Abraham)
Subject: shot putting

>One place to start would be Jim Hay's text THE BIOMECHANICS OF SPORTS
>TECHNIQUES publised by Prentice-Hall and now in its 4th edition. Hay also
>has compiled and sold (himself) sport biomechanics bibliographies which are
>very comprehensive. The 4th and 5th editions of that include over 40
>references to shot putting.

Larry Abraham, EdD
Kinesiology & Health Education
The University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX 78712 USA
(512)471-1273 FAX (512)471-8914

Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 08:28:04 -0400 (AST)
From: Edwin Demont
To: barden@max.cc.uregina.ca
Subject: Re: Shot put references

Hello. There are some references (and interesting ideas!)
in The Human Machine, by R. McNeill Alexander (1992), Columbia
University Press.

Edwin DeMont
Biology Department
St. Francis Xavier University
Antigonish, N.S.

Email EDeMont@stfx.ca

Date: Thu, 26 Jan 95 08:22:13 EST
From: Diego Redondo
Subject: Re: References on biomechanics of shot putting
To: John Barden

Contact Ray McCoy at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, VA.
He has done some work on shot-putting, including some filming at the
Olympic Games in Barcelona. He can be contacted at (804) 221-2783.
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 09:15:31 -0500 (EST)
From: lori livingston F
To: John Barden

John,

A good place to start would be J.G. Hay's (1993) text entitled The
Biomechanics of Sports Techniques which is published by Prentice-Hall.
There is a chapter on the throwing events in athletics, and he quite
commonly provides references from scientific studies.

I hope this is of some help.

Lori A. Livingston, Ph.D.
Department of Physical Education
Wilfrid Laurier University
Waterloo, Ontario
N2L 3C5
e-mail: llivings@mach1.wlu.ca
phone: 519-884-0710, Ext. 4986
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 95 08:51:28 EST
From: carol widule
To: John Barden

John:

Check John Bunn's Book. It's an old book, published in 1955 (I Think).
Because my copy has walked off, I can't remember the exact title. But
you should be able to find it listed through a library search.

Sorry, I can't be more helpful.

Carol J. Widule
widule@vm.cc.purdue.edu
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 08:13:42 -0800
To: John Barden
From: dahawkins@ucdavis.edu (David Hawkins)

John:
You might try contacting Dr. Mont Hubbard at UC Davis, USA (916)
752-6450. He did some work a few years back dealing with the flight of the
shot put. Good Luck!

David Hawkins, Ph.D.
Biomechanics Lab UC Davis

Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 11:45:01 -0500 (EST)
From: hound-dog
To: BARDEN%UREGINA1.bitnet@HEARN.NIC.SURFNET.NL

check the journal of biomechanics. look for a volume (each year) which
contains only abstracts from the yearly meeting. then check to see if
those titles have been published as article already. i have seen
numerous abstracts in the area of all the field events and other sports
activities (gymnastics, swimming, etc...).

Matt Rupert rupertmp@ucunix.san.uc.edu
Department of Aerospace Engineering
and Engineering Mechanics
University of Cincinnati, Ohio

Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 12:57:17 -0500
From: Hunt895WR@aol.com
To: barden@max.cc.uregina.ca
Subject: Re: SP biomecanics

John,

E-mail Dr. Jim Hay at the Univ of Iowa (JGHAY@vaxa.weeg.uiowa.edu) he will
be able to put you in touch with the materials you need. An alternative
would be to call Dr. Harmon Brown at Cal State Hayward (A Code 510). Harmon
is the Sports Sciences coordinator here in the states and would be aware of
any of the material you are requesting.

Randy Huntington
hunt895wr @aol.com

From: Gideon Ariel, Ph.D.
To: John Barden (barden@max.cc.uregina.ca)
Subject: Shot Put Biomechanics

1. Ariel, G.B. "Biomechanical Analysis of the Shotput Utilizing the
Center of Gravity Displacement," Track and Field Quarterly Review, 73:
207-210, 1973.

2. Ariel, G.B. Computer Analysis of Track Biomechanics," Track
Technique, 50: 1597-1598, 1972

3. Ariel, G.B. "Computerized Biomechanical Analysis of Track and
Field Athletics Utilized by the Olympic Training Camp for Throwing
Events," Track and Field Quarterly Review, 72: 99-103, 1972.

4. Ariel, G.B. "Coputerized Biomechanical Analysis of the World's
Best Shotputters," Track and Field Quarterly Review, 73: 199-206, 1973.

Good Luck
Gideon Ariel, Ph.D.

From: ALEXANDR@bldgken.lan1.umanitoba.ca
To: barden@max.cc.uregina.ca
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 95 09:43:00 PST

I have done several studies on the shot put event, one has just been
published, the other is in review. I have also compiled a reference list of
most of the studies on the biomechanics of the shot put. I will send these to
you via snail mail, as it will be easier for me than trying to load all this
info onto the internet. If you have any specific questions on the mechanics
of the event, I have studied it quite extensively, and may be able to help
you. Are you conducting research into the mechanics of the event?
Good luck with your search,
Marion Alexander