PDA

View Full Version : Re: Phase plane analysis (compilation)

Henrik Sorensen
02-26-1995, 03:02 AM
Hello Netters

On 18 Feb 95 I posted the message shown below to the list. I joint the list
just a few days earlier, so I didn't know what kind of response to expect. I
must say I was overwhelmed - this list is indeed a powerful tool.
Here is a compilation of the messages I received. Giga-thanks to all of you.

Henrik

**************************** Original request ****************************

Hello everybody

Is anybody aware of movement studies, in which phase plane analysis has been
used to quantify or qualitatively describe the kinematics of intersegmental
coordination? All kinds of references would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Henrik

************************************************** ************************

From: j-patton@nwu.edu (Jim Patton)
Subject: Re: Phase plane analysis

I do feel that the phase plane or state-space graphical
representations are truely important. Much of my work involves
phase plane trajectories in the analysis and modeling of movement.

Try these references:

Hurmuzlu, Y., C. Basdogan, J. J. Caroollo
Presenting joint kinematics of human locomotion using
phase plane portraits and poincare' maps. Journal of
Biomechanics. in press.

Hurmuzlu, Y., G. D. Moskowitz (1987) Bipedal
Locomotion Stabilized by Impact Switching: II.
Structural Stability Analysis of Four-Element Bipedal
Locomotion Model.. Dynam. Stabil. Sys. . 2, 73-96.

Hurmuzlu, Y., G. D. Moskowitz (1988) Bipedal Locomotion
Stabilized by Impact Switching: I. Two- and Three-Dimensional,
Three Element Models.. Dynam. Stabil. Sys. . 2, 73-88.

Hurmuzlu, Y. (1987) Effect of Stance Ankle Torques
on the Nonlinear Stability of a Two Degree of Freedom,
Three Element Bipedal Locomotion System. Modeling
and Control Issues in Biomechanical Systems, ASME
Winter Annual Meeting, Chicago. , 97-112.

Lee, W. E. (1990) Learning to control body center
of mass during arm pulls made while standing. in:
Posture and balance: control mechanisms, M. H. Wollactoo
and F. Horak (eds.). , 98-102.

Also, psot a summary of responses, I'd like to see what others
have to say.

_/_/_/ Jim Patton
_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/ _/ Graduate Student
_/_/_/ _/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ Biomedical Engineering
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ Northwestern University
_/ _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ EMAIL: j-patton@nwu.edu
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/_/ _/ _/(312)H:549-3263 L:908-6785

************************************************** *************************

From: jc60@umailsrv0.umd.edu (Jane Clark)

Henrik:
We have used phase plane analysis for intersegmental (knee) coordination
in locomotion.
Please see:
Clark, J.E. & Phillips, S.J. (1993)/ A longitudinal study of intralimb
coordination in the first year of independent walking: A dynamical systems
analysis. CHILD DEVELOPMENT, 64, 1143-1157.

that paper also gives you other references for our work that has appeared in
chapter form (and where the work is discussed in a more tutorial fashion).

best regards,
jane

Jane E. Clark
Department of Kinesiology
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742-2611

PHONE: 301/405-2474
FAX: 301/314-9167
EMAIL: JC60@UMAIL.UMD.EDU

************************************************** *************************

From: m.mcdonald@qut.edu.au (Michael McDonald)

Greetings Henrik from down under
The person you need to contact is Robert Neal at University of Queensland,
his email address is:
Neal@HMS01.HMS.UQ.OZ.AU
part of his PhD thesis involved the use of phase plane analysis.
Hope that this is of some help.
Regards

Michael McDonald
School of Human Movement Studies