PDA

View Full Version : Re: WATER RUNNING

Peter Hamer
physiological and biomechnical aspects and the difficulites that need to
be overcoem. One of the problems with uusing a tethered form of
water-running is that the runner effectively runs in a bit of a hole in
the water created by the previous gait cycle, caused by the turbulence
and creation of eddie currents behind and in front of the limb. This
makes the techniques easier, thus reducign the cardiovascular demand and
thus while altering the angular excursions, joint angles and thus the
angular velocities and accelerations on the limb through the water. While
I criticise the technique I have used it myself for VO2 measurements
because fo the ease of obtaining access to the subject. See Australian
Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, Vol22 No 3 p13-22 1991 (by
memory). That admittedly was for shallow water-running. Since that time I
have used Douglas bags attached to the subject as they move freely
throught he deep water. I have experimented with radio controoled valves
to open and close the valve to the bag thus freeing the necessity to hve
the subject close at hand or followed so bags can be opend and closed.
THis method tends to need a discontinuous protocol for the administration
of VO2 max tests etc. Others have used an overhead gantry and/or pulley
system. Biomechanically we have used an underwater window and capture
dhte technique as they run across in front of the window. Need to address
parallax errors, defraction etc etc.. I have used both high speed 16mm
film and also the Peak system using Super-VHS for collecting and
digitising joint positions etc.

Good luck

Peter Hamer
Dept of Human Movement