PDA

View Full Version : Re: Fresh frozen- vs. preserved- bone

Ton Van Den Bogert
05-09-1995, 08:33 AM
Dear subscribers,

Mark Musolino wrote:
>I recall reading several posts sometime last year (I think summmer '94) on
>the topic of fresh frozen vs. formalin preserved cadaveric bone for use in
>experimental testing. I am not a frequent user of this group, and
>therefore do not know if there is an archive from which I can retrieve
>these posts. If anyone remembers the series of posts I am referring to,
>and knows how/where I can get them, please let me know. I greatly
>appreciate your help.

I suggest that you use the database search facility of LISTSERV.
For instance, send the following series of commands to
LISTSERV@nic.surfnet.nl:

// JOB Echo=No
Database Search DD=Rules
//Rules DD *
search for bone and (frozen or formalin or testing) in Biomch-L
/*

After receiving a list of items that match, the full text can be
retrieved by the same command sequence, but the 'index' command
replaced by:

print item# item# item# ...

More information can be obtained by sending the command INFO
DATABASE to LISTSERV. It's not great, but it works. Every
Biomch-L subscriber should keep a copy of this database search
job for when it is needed.

If you already know approximately when a message was posted, a
quick manual scan through the archives may be faster. There are
two possibilities:

1. Use LISTSERV's gopher server and just look at those messages
that have interesting subject lines. This server is accessible
through the Biomechanics World Wide Web page:

http://gpu.srv.ualberta.ca/~pbaudin/biomch.htm

In Europe, it may be faster to go directly to the gopher server
in The Netherlands:

gopher://hearn.nic.surfnet.nl/

2. If you don't have gopher or WWW on your system, an entire
month of messages can be requested by sending a command such as
GET BIOMCH-L LOG9407 (for July 1994) to LISTSERV. This file is
very big, so it may take a while to reach you.

-- Ton van den Bogert, Biomch-L co-moderator