PDA

View Full Version : Complaining about a SPAM (Romance Ad, my foot!)

Mitchell Gil Maltenfort
07-05-1995, 02:55 PM
Dear postmaster: (cc'd to mailing list so they know someone kvetched)

Below please find a spam sent to an inappropriate mailing list.
The headers retrieved from the letter reveal, despite the culprit's attempt
to hide his site with the ID "David@WISHES.TO.REMAIN.ANONYMOUS.UA", that it
originated from your neck of the woods.

Hopefully, the header information should be sufficient for you to
find and deal with this individual.

Thank you.

Mitchell Maltenfort

*******
Header:

TCP; Wed, 05 Jul 95 23:20:17 EDT
********

Spam:

At 9:20 PM 07/05/1995, David@WISHES.TO.REMAIN.ANONYMOUS.UA wrote:
> ## meet women of the former USSR through romance ads ##
>
> Months ago, Olga Kosmina placed my personal ad in several papers of the
>former Soviet Union. Since that time I have received over 40 responses for
>the $50 I mailed Olga. (I believe she paid the newspapers something around
>$35 and kept the rest for her efforts.)
> I have found greater success and savings by placing my own personal
>romance advertisement rather than purchasing addresses through Russian "bride"
>catalog companies.
> If you are interested in placing a personal romance ad as I did, contact
>Olga. She has built up a list of most every newspaper and magazine in the
>former Soviet Union and could help direct your ad to certain areas if you
>wish. She writes, "please say that I place all ad _throughout_ Russia and
>other countries of former Soviet Union, not only Western Russia."
> Olga is 23 years old, has a bachelors in biology and works full-time as a
>florist in Kiev. She speaks, reads and writes English as well as her native
>languages of Russian and Ukrainian.
> I realize that it is a very trusting person who would put $ into an
>envelope and mail to a foreign country. If you would rather send a letter of
>inquiry first, Olga will respond to your questions. It takes about 16 days
>for a letter to travel from the USA to Kiev.
>
>Olga Kozmina
>Dekabristov Street 5 - 178
>Kiev 253121
>Ukraine
>
> I have found that by placing a single bill between two pieces of
>newsprint inside an envelope, the Ukrainian post cannot see through and does
>not bother to tamper. I have yet to lose a letter sent to Kiev. I am sorry
>that Olga does not have e-mail because it would make contact with her much
>easier.
> I am posting anonymously because of the inordinate amount of e-mail which
> I would receive -- inquiries as well as flames.
>
>Best Wishes,
>
>David and Olga
>
> Although Olga has never seen a newsgroup nor heard of "net-etiquette,"
>she believes that helping others exceeds the cost of angering those who feel
>the net should not be used in this fashion.
> IHA (I humbly ask) that you not flame the postmaster of this site.
>
>peace. . .

Mitchell Gil Maltenfort Northwestern University Chicago, Illinois

Computers are like puppies - willing to obey, but unless everything is
explained to them in puppy terms, they *will* make a mess on the floor.