PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Stimulation and Muscle Fibre Composition (fwd)

James Dowling
03-25-1996, 06:04 AM
I appologize to those subscribers who are also on the NEUROMUS list that
have already seen this. A student of mine posted the following message
to no avail. If anyone on BIOMCH-L can help, it would be appreciated.
You can respond to either Ryan or myself. Thanks in advance.

Jim Dowling
Dept. of Kinesiology
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Email: DOWLINGJ@MCMAIL.CIS.MCMASTER.CA

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 13:53:19 -0500
From: R.R. French
To: Multiple recipients of list NEUROMUS
Subject: Electrical Stimulation and Muscle Fibre Composition

On March 7 I posted the following problem:

I was wondering if anyone would enlighten me concerning the
following problem:
By electrically stimulating the quadricep and tricep muscle groups, and
through maximum voluntary contractions of these same groups, I have
collected specific data, including measures of peak torque, time to peak
torque, impulse to half relaxation time, half relaxation time, and others.
By reviewing many research articles, I know that many researchers have used
the half relaxation time to classify the subject's muscle fibre composition
as Type I, Type II A or B, and also determine the percentage of each
within the muscle. However, these articles have not helped me to find
exactly how these percentages are calculated since they merely state that
they used the half relaxation time to do it.
Can anyone relate to me the specific method used to find these
percentages? If not, could anyone tell me where I might find the answers
to this problem?
to view my eventual findings may contact me directly at
u9312813@muss.cis.mcmaster.ca

Thanks for trying,
Ryan French
McMaster University