PDA

View Full Version : RE: Swimming Physiology & Database search

Herman J. Woltring
05-24-1991, 11:04 AM
> Date: Fri, 24 May 91 22:45:32 MET
> From: Swapan Mookerjee
> Subject: Swimming Physiology
>
> Does any one know of research group/s working in the area of immersion and
> thermal physiology in Germany? I would appreciate this info (with BITNET
> address) very much.

In addition to the Biomch-L readership, it might be fruitful to consult the
readerships and archives of the following lists:

HYPBAR-L HYPBAR-L@TECHNION HyperBaric & Diving Medicine List
SCUBA-D SCUBA-D@BROWNVM Scuba Digest Redistribution
SCUBA-L SCUBA-L@GUVM Scuba diving discussion list
WOMNDIVE WOMNDIVE@UTORONTO Women in Diving Discussion List

I scanned the current LISTSERV LISTS for the keyword `swim' without success,
after retrieving it with the LIST GLOBAL request to the LISTSERVer.

Incidentally, it might be useful to demonstrate the advantages of scanning a
previously identified archive for certain combinations of keywords. Below is
an example for the BIOMCH-L archive, to be sent to LISTSERV@HEARN.BITNET or
to LISTSERV@NIC.SURFNET.NL:

// JOB Echo=No
Database Search DD=Rules
//Rules DD *
SEARCH ("Newton" or "newton") and ("Unit" or "unit") -
since January IN Biomch-L
PRINT
/*

Following a SEARCH for the listed combination of keywords for all postings as
of January for the listed year (no year defaults to the current year), the
PRINT command will result in all postings meeting the SEARCH to be included
in the output file that will be sent back to you.

In a first search, it might be better to use the INDEX command rather than the
PRINT command; this will result in only the subject: line and time/date of
selected postings to be returned, from which you might select those that you
wish to read in full.

For further details, including interactive access on EARN/BITNET, just send
the request INFO DATABASE to any LISTSERVer. While this dataset looks quite
complicated at first sight, it doesn't seem to take much time to grasp the
basic principles.

Regards -- Herman J. Woltring, Eindhoven/NL