PDA

View Full Version : Re: Cyberglove for hand motion data analysis

J Penrose
06-17-1996, 01:14 AM
On Tue, 11 Jun 1996, Mandar S. Deshmukh wrote:

> Dear Biomch-L subscribers,
>
> I am a Master's student in the Computational Motor Control Lab at Arizona State
> University. As a part of my thesis work I am looking at the viability of the
> CyberGlove (Virtual Tech.) for study of hand motion analysis. I would be
> grateful if you could provide me with some insight regarding the same. I shall
> post a summary of responses.

Here at Sheffield we have a group who are very interested in using digital
gloves for hand motion analysis, particularly in a clinical setting. We
would love to hear from anyone who has experience with the Cyberglove,
Dataglove etc.
For what it's worth though, here is my two-pence on the CyberGlove:
Firstly, they are very expensive $10,000+ (I think) and hard to get hold
of, with long waiting lists. Also, there appears to be little validation
data in print and what there is relates to the Dataglove. It seems that
the accuracy of angular measurement may be little better than placing a
simple goniometer on the finger.
Secondly, I think I'm right in saying that the CyberGlove has DIP, PIP and
MCP sensors, as well as Finger and thumb abductor sensors. This is
perfectly adequate for tasks such as gesture recognition, but in a
clinical situation, you might want to know about wrist flexion/extension,
radio-ulnar abduction/adduction, or even ulnar deviation of the fingers.
Also, the CyberGlove only comes in one size and it would not be suitable
for use by someone with, say, rheumatoid deformaties.

I'd be interested to know what other people think, and whether hand motion
studies are popular.

Justin Penrose
Virtual Reality in Medicine and Biology Group

Justin Penrose J.M.Penrose@Sheffield.ac.uk
Medical Physics,
Sheffield University, Tel. +44 (0) 114 271 2428
Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Fax. +44 (0) 114 271 3403
Glossop Road, Sheffield S10
ENGLAND