PDA

View Full Version : Re: potentiometers

Larry Lawhorn
10-21-1996, 05:37 AM
10/21/96 Ron Rumm wrote:
> We would like to moniter the mobility and movement of the lower arm - it
>wuold seem quite straight forward to do this using an adjustable - jointed -
>pivoted frame with a potentiometer at the joint. after calibration the the
>angular displacement of the joint could be easily read - i can't imagine
>that others havn't used this approach, if you aware of a design for the
>frame and are able to provide a reference or any other information it would
>be most appreciated.
>thank you
>ron rumm / perigee ronrumm@mail.islandnet.com

Ron,
I have seen a "frame" type device for the hip-knee-ankle (bilaterally) using
3 potentiometers (at each joint) to track 3 degrees of freedom (at each
joint). This work was done (related to FES ambulation) by Uros Bogataj at
the Josef Stefan Institute in Ljubljana Slovenia. I will echo your original
message to
him. Let's see if he has a moment to respond! His work is published in
several journals, a Medline search should locate it, look for: FES, lower
extremity, and Micro-FES. Also, you can check out his web site at:
http://www.ijs.si/e1/bio.html
Larry@ibm.net
http://members.aol.com/larrylwhrn/index.htm
BTW: Ron, where are you writing from?

10/21/96 Greg wrote:
Larry,

Check out the work of E. Y. Chao at the Mayo Clinic. He has
designed several goniometers for measuring joint motion with
potentiometers.

One article to check out is

E.Y. Chao, K.N. An, L.J. Askew, B.F> Morrey "Electrogoniometer
for the Measuremnt of Human Elbow Joint Rotation" Jounral of
Biomechanical Engineering, vol102, November 1980, p301-

Good Luck!
-Greg