PDA

View Full Version : Re: "Cracking Joints"

Partap S. Khalsa
04-03-1997, 09:59 AM
David Clarke wrote:

> Dear biomch-l readers:
>
> The following is for my own interest. I frequently "crack" my knuckles,
> knees, ankles, elbows, etc. The "school-yard" explanation that I've
> heard is that I'm releasing nitrogen gas from the blood. Any truth to
> that? Does anyone know the mechanism behind this?
>
> Incidently, I find that if I don't "crack" my knees frequently (4 or more
> times per hour), then I find flexion/extension to be a very odd
> sensation. Not painful, just a little stiff.
>
> Can I develop arthritus year from now because I continue to do this to my
> body? I've heard both yes and no.
>
> Any insight would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> David Clarke
> Engineering Student
> Memorial University of Newfoundland
> St. John's, NF
> Canada

David,
The phenomenon you describe has been of considerable interest to the
chiropractic, osteopathic, and physical medicine professions. In
particular, what is the cause of the "cracking" sound that commonly is
produced during spinal manipulations/adjustments. Please see the
following discussion written by R. Brodeur of the Dept. of Biomechanics,
Michican State Univ. ("The audible release associated with joint
manipulation". Journal of Manipulative & Physiological Therapeutics.
18(3):155-64, 1995 Mar-Apr. )