PDA

View Full Version : (Fwd) Osteogenisis Imperfecta and Mechanical Lifts

Larry Lawhorn, Ot
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 05:41:16 -0700
From: gosscorn@lr.net (Thelma W. Wakefield)
To: tech-sis@fortnet.org
Subject: Osteogenisis Imperfecta and Mechanical Lifts
---------------================================-----------------
From: gosscorn@lr.net (Thelma W. Wakefield)
---------------================================-----------------

A child I have worked with for several years has a severe form of
Osteogenisis Imperfecta and continues to sustain fractures from
relatively minor incidents. He has gained quite a bit of weight over
the last year and a half and though he is very short he now weighs
almost 60 pounds. The method used to lift him safely (as far as his
bones are concerned) entails the lifter putting one hand under his
Ischial Tuberosities, the other hand behind his back to balance him and
lifting up and out of his wheelchair. Unfortunatly, he is getting too
heavy to lift by one person and I am afraid that use of a second lifter
or a standard mechanical lift sling may cause additional fractures.

It is really hard to envision a method that doesn't put stress on his
ribs or limbs. So far what I envision is a lifting device based on the
"forklift under a pallet" theory but fear this may be very expensive to
implement.

Has anyone had experience with the use of a mechanical lift with an
individual with OI? I would appreciate hearing about any experiences
either successful or unsuccessful.

Thanks, T. Sammie Wakefield
From: gosscorn@lr.net (Thelma W. Wakefield)