PDA

View Full Version : Re: Geometric models

Rick Ingram
08-01-1997, 06:43 AM
Dynamic Computer Resources, Inc. (DCR), San Dimas, California is a re-seller
of two commercial products/methods for creating Computer Aided Design (CAD)
models from CT or MR data.

The first is called Velocity TM. This program reads the CT or MR data and
allows the user to segment the scan image using filters, radiometric
functions and thresholding tools. Then Velocity TM creates the 3D model and
outputs a digital file (STL) used by various Rapid Prototyping (RP)
machines. These RP machines create a physical model (prototype) of the
anatomical stucture. Depending on the RP machine/process chosen the
prototype may be used for viewing, cutting or testing.

The second process uses Velocity TM to create the initial digital model then
transfers the data to I-DEAS TM. I-DEAS TM is a full function Computer Aided
Design, Engineering and Manufacturing (CAD/CAE/CAM) program. I-DEAS is used
around the world by engineers and designers. With the anatomical data in the
I-DEAS environment you are able to change or create geometry digitally.
Anatomy can be cut, enlarged, mirrored, or used to create perfectly mating
protheses. The digital data can also be used for analysis such as Finite
Element Analysis (FEA), Vibration, Thermal Conduction, and Computational
Fluid Dynamics (CFD). Finally, I-DEAS TM allows for digital manufacturing
such as Computerized Numeric Control (CNC) and Plastics Analysis for
injection molding.

DCR also offers models of various anatomical structures in the above
mentioned formats as well as 3D and 2D IGES, STEP, STL, Nastran, Ansys and
others.

For more information see our internet site at www.primenet.com/~dcr_inc

Yours truely,

Rick Ingram

At 09:25 AM 7/2/97 GMT+1200, Rhona Phelps wrote:
>Dear All
>
>I am about to start the process of creating a basic 3D model of the pelvis and
>proximal femur, for use in both FE and CAD analysis.
>
>With the arrival of the Visible Human data set and
>the availablilty of this data for all researchers, I know a number of
>centers are spending time and resources creating geometries from the
>images. There are also comercial companies using this data, but the
>models they are creating are 3D models in a non-mathematical format.
>
>I searched the Biomch-l archives and came across a discussion
>from last year regarding sharing of model geometry. There was
>however no conclusion to this discussion. For each individual
>researcher to undertake the same process of model creation from the
>same data would surely be futile. Or pehaps I am simply trying to justify my
>lazyness. I could create the model myself, but as this is simply a
>tool for further analysis, I was hoping the basic geometry in a
>numberical format was available from some other source.
>
>My question to the biomch-l community is, do any of you have a
>goemetric model that you would be prepared to share with another
>researcher? Again this should not only apply to my case, but in
>general. Alternatively, could you tell me how you approached the
>problem of creating the goemetry from either the scanned images, the
>CT or the MRI images.
>
>Thanks for your help
> Rhona
>

>Thanks in advance
>
>Rhona Phelps
>

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Dr Rhona Phelps Industrial Research Ltd
>Research Scientist P.O.Box 2225
>Engineering Dynamics Auckland
>Biomechanics Group New Zealand
>
>Email: r.phelps@irl.cri.nz
>Tel: +64 9 3034116
>Fax: +64 9 3070618
################################################## ###################

Rick Ingram DDDDDD CCCCCCCC RRRRRR
Vice President DD DD CC RR RR
Dynamic Computer Resources, Inc. DD DD CC RR RR
403 E. Arrow Hwy, Suite 301 DD DD CC RRRRRRR
San Dimas, Ca. 91773 DD DD CC RR RR
(909) 305-1055 DD DD CC RR RR
(909) 305-0455 FAX DDDDDDDD CCCCCCCC RR RR

E-mail: dcr_inc@primenet.com
Home Pg: www.primenet.com/~dcr_inc