PDA

View Full Version : Re: nitinol

James O. Sanders, M.d.
10-04-1997, 10:35 AM
Nitinol is currently used for vena cava filters under and investigational
license unless this has changed recently. It is also used for the bone
holding portion of the mitek suture in orthopaedics. I know of no other
currently used devices with a license. Please let me know if you hear
otherwise.
Jim Sanders
Chief of Staff
Shriners Hospitals for Children
Erie, PA

----------
> [...]
> would be convenient to do different aspects of the testing several days
> apart. The limbs stay fresher if we re-freeze them for several days and
> then re-thaw them out before the next test. But...I don't know whether
or
> not the re-freezing and re-thawing effect the tissue properties. Can
> anyone help me on this one? Thanks!
>
> --Rick
>
> Richard N. Hinrichs, Ph.D.
> Dept. of Exercise Science
> Arizona State University
> Box 870404
> Tempe, AZ 85287-0404 USA
> (1) 602-965-1624 (phone)
> (1) 602-965-8108 (fax)
> Hinrichs@asu.edu (email)
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 09:24:41 +0000
> From: Jose Luis Peris Serra
> Subject: Nitinol legal requirements
>
> Dear subscribers,
>
> I would be very grateful if someone could inform me whether Nitinol has
> been approved by the FDA and/or European Community regulations
> regarding its consideration as biomaterial for orthopaedic implants.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Jose L. Peris, Ph.D.
> Orthopaedic Biomechanics Lab
> Instituto de Biomecanica de Valencia (IBV)
> P.O. Box 199
> 46980 Paterna (Valencia)
> SPAIN
>
> Phone: +34 6 1366032
> Fax: +34 6 1366033
> E-mail: jlperis@ibv.upv.es
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 17:05:33 +0100
> From: Stephen Haake
> Subject: New Journal - Call for Papers
>
> ************************Call for Papers*************************
>
> *******************SPORTS ENGINEERING********************
>
> ************************************************** ************
> Papers are now invited for publication in the September 1998 issue.
> ************************************************** ************
>
> SPORTS ENGINEERING is a new international journal from Blackwell
> Science publishing quality papers on the application of engineering and
> science to sport. The Journal intends to fill the niche area which lies
> between classical engineering and sports science and aims to bridge the
gap
> between the analysis of the equipment and the athlete.
>
> Areas of interest include the mechanics and dynamics of sport,
the
> analysis of movement, instrumentation, equipment design, surface
> interaction, materials and modelling. These topics may be applied to
> technology in almost any sport. The Journal will be of particular
interest
> to engineering, physics, mathematics and sports science departments and
> will act as a forum where research, industry and the sports sector can
> exchange knowledge and innovative ideas.
>
> The journal will be published in association with the
International
> Sports Engineering Association (ISEA). It will be quarterly from 1999
and
> will publish two issues in 1998. All papers will be peer reviewed by at
> least two reviewers.
>
> As well as quality papers, Sports Engineering will also publish
> technical notes, review papers and book reviews. Prospective authors
> should discuss their proposals with the editor
>
> ***************Notes to Authors***************
> Instructions for authors can be provided by email on request from the
> editor at s.j.haake@sheffield.ac.uk.
>

> **Editor**
> Dr Steve Haake, Department of Mechanical Engineering, The University of
> Sheffield, Mappin Street, Sheffield, S1 3JD.
>
> **The Editorial Board will include**
> Professor R Bartlett, Manchester Metropolitan University, UK
> Professor H Brody, University of Pennsylvania, USA
> Dr P Freychat, Decathlon, France
> Dr M Friswell, University of Wales, UK
> Professor H Hatze, University of Vienna, Austria
> Professor M Hubbard, University of California at Davis, USA
> Professor R Smith, University of Sheffield, UK
> Dr A Subic, University of Melbourne, Australia
> Professor S Ujihashi, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan
>
> **ISEA panel of editors**
> Dr P Danichki, Brunel University, UK
> Dr C Grant, University of Newcastle, UK
> Professor J Knight, De Montfort University, UK
> Dr S Mather, University of Nottingham, UK
> Dr J Morgan, University of Bristol, UK
> Dr R Thomson, University of Glasgow, UK

> *************************************
> Dr Steve Haake,
> Sports Engineering Research Group,
> Department of Mechanical Engineering,
> The University of Sheffield,
> Mappin Street,
> Sheffield, S1 3JD,
> United Kingdom.
>
> Tel (+114) 222 7739
> Fax (+114) 275 3671
> *************************************
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 22:42:25 -0400
> From: tasso@MATH.BU.EDU
> Subject: posting a job ad
>
> Geachte collega,
> Zou ik U mogen vragen de advertentie hieronder
> in Uw biomechanics newsletter te zetten, om
> de werkgelegenheid die erin aangekondigd wordt
> bekend te maken aan Uw lezers?
> Met veel dank,
> Tasso Kaper

> Interdisciplinary post-doctoral positions
>
> Post-doctoral positions are available with immediate starting date
> (and also with starting date September 1, 1998) for an N.S.F. funded
> research program in ``Applied Mathematics for Systems of Oscillators
> in Biology & Engineering" within the Department of Mathematics
> at Boston University.
>
> The explicit goal of this program is to provide the opportunity for
> collaborative interdisciplinary research training with faculty in
> Mathematics (N. Kopell, T. Kaper, C.E. Wayne), Aerospace & Mechanical
> Engineering (J. Baillieul, M. Berkemeier, A. Nadim), Biomedical
Engineering
> (J. Collins, J. White), and Health Sciences (J. Schotland). The problems
> to be addressed using this approach fall into three broad classes:
> dynamics of networks of neurons, systems of coupled mechanical
oscillators,
> and interactions of neural and mechanical systems.
>
> Boston University offers a stimulating environment for research and
training
> in all areas related to this program. The Center for BioDynamics focuses
> on research and training at the interface between dynamical systems,
> biology, and engineering. In addition, there are active research
connections
> among faculty from the Departments of Aerospace and Mechanical
Engineering,
> Biomedical Engineering, Cognitive and Neural Science, Electrical
Engineering,

http://eng.bu.edu/INTERDISC/Oscillation/