PDA

View Full Version : summary: passive muscle mechanics

Campbell, Deirdre
12-29-1997, 08:56 AM
Thank you to the following for their replies:

> I'm looking for information on passive muscle mechanics of the human
quads,
> either as a unit or of the individual muscles. A literature search has
> yielded only length-tension curves for animal muscles (i.e. rabbit and
cat).
> Has anyone done any in vitro tensile tests of the human quads or some
> similar experiment?
>
> Thank you, I will post a summary of replies.
>
> Deirdre A. Campbell
> Research Engineer
> Dept. of Biomechanics and Biomaterials
> Hospital for Special Surgery
> New York, NY 10021
> email: campbelld@hss.edu

Rob Herbert wrote:

I know that Y.H. Heerkens did her thesis at Vrije University on "Passive
resistance of the human knee in vivo". Parts of the thesis have been
published (co-authored, from memory, by PA Huijing, GJ van Ingen Schenau,
Rozendal and Huson) although I do not have the references at hand.

At Hof gave the following references:

These papers contain data on hip flexion with a straight knee,
Goeken, LNH, and Hof, AL Instrumental straight - leg raising: A new approach
to Lasegue's test. Archs Phys. Med. Rehabil. 72:959-966
Goeken, LNH, and Hof, AL Instrumental straight - leg raising:Results in
healthy subjects. Archs Phys. Med. Rehabil. 74: 194-203

Prof. Joe Mizrahi gave the following references:

Gita, Mizrahi et al: IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng. 40:664-674, 1993
Gita, Mizrahi et al: ASME Trans. Biomed. Eng. 118:357-366, 1996

Prof. Yasuo Kawakami gave the following references:

Niselle, R., and Ekholm, J. Joint load during the parallel squat in
powerlifting and force analysis of in vivo bilateral quadriceps tendon
rupture. Scand. J. Sports Sci. 8:63-70, 1986

Narici, M.V., Landoni, L., and Minetti, A.E. Assessment of human knee
extensor muscle stress from in vivo physiological cross-sectional area and
strength measurements. Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. 65:438-444, 1992

Blevins, F.T., Hecker, A.T., Bigler, G.T., Boland, A.L., and Hayes, W. The
effect of donor age and strain rate on the biomechanical properties of
bone-patellar tendon-bone allografts. Am. J. Sports Med. 22: 328-333, 1994