PDA

View Full Version : Networking mission to the PRC

Herman J. Woltring
04-11-1992, 10:47 PM
Dear Biomch-L readers,

Some time ago, I posted information on burgeoning email facilities between
the People's Republic of China and the rest of the world. One of these con-
cerns CANET, the Chinese Academic NETwork (quite distinct from its Canadian
namesake) which allows bilateral communication through a dedicated connection
between Beijing and the University of Karlsruhe in Germany. Unfortunately,
the chinese subscribers must pay not only for transmitting, but also for
receiving email. By consequence, Biomch-L has, to my knowledge, no subscrib-
ers in the PRC at this time.

The item below was received yesterday from the CHINANET list; one would hope
that the activities of a prestigeous organisation like the C.A.P. might
facilitate communication with our chinese colleagues. With the number of
subscribers from Eastern Europe and the Commonwealth of Independent States
gradually increasing, one hopes that also the PRC will further open its
frontiers.

HJW
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1992 20:21:53 -0400
From: GEAND@EDUC.UMASS.EDU
Subject: Citizen Ambassador network delegation to China
Sender: "CHINANET: Networking In China"

The Citizen Ambassador Program of People to People International is sending
a networking delegation to China in early May. Contact person is:
Dr. John H. Luppert No e-mail address,
Director, Science and Technology unfortunately.
Citizen Ambassador Program
Dwight D. Eisenhower Building
Spokane, Washington 99202

It is probably too late to join the delegation, but they would welcome
additional information that might be helpful.

We hope for significant information upon the delegation's return.
Ernie Anderson Internet: GEAND@EDUC.UMASS.EDU
Bitnet: GEAND@UMASS