PDA

View Full Version : ceiling height for golf swing analysis

Jeremy Linskell
02-25-1998, 02:49 AM
Thanks to every one for the information. Here is a summary of
preferred minimum of 12'. We've now just negotiated 11'10" with our
architects so it will be interesting to see what happens!!!

replies:-

I am also interested in this information. Please pass along your
is somewhere between 9 and 10 feet. You could probably get away with
9 feet if you're not using a wood. However, you should consider
whether a player will modify his swing if he thinks he's going to hit
the ceiling.

Thanks,

Greg

Gregory W. Lange, M.S. (210) 705-6597 voice
Engineer, Biomechanics Laboratory (210) 705-6567 fax
Santa Rosa Outpatient Rehabilitation Center greg_lange@srhcc.org
for Children and Adults
2701 Babcock Road, San Antonio, Texas, 78229, USA
http://www.santarosahealth.org/BioMechanics.html
From: GSRASH01@ULKYVM.LOUISVILLE.EDU
Date sent: 18 Feb 1998 12:40:07 EST
Subject: Golf

I have 11 foot ceilings & do golf analysis. I can't get the club head at the
top of backswing or follow through. I have a marker just below the grip & a
marker at the CofG of the club & then use a measured distance from the CofG of
the club to the head to make an virtual marker location by extending the
vector of the club by the needed amount. I only have problems with people
over about 6'4". We are more interested in the body position than club head &
I have no other facility except my clinical gait lab to do the analysis. I
would love to have 15-20 feet. I collected in a barn at a golf course with
the cameras's (5) up 15-20 feet & the swings tracked uch better.We are
talking about moving the lab so I'ld be interested in what you find out from
others who are doing golf.
Motion Analysis Corporation has set up many Biomechanics Laboratories for
Golf Analysis. First there is no "Minimum", but use the following as a
guideline:

1) Height of athlete: ie: Tall golfer 2 meters which is the average golfer
on the Professional Tour
2) Arm extension at backswing: Minimal above head but add 0.3m
3) Length of Club: Plan the room/capture area around the Driver (1 wood,
the longest club)
4) Psychological factor: This factor enables the golfer to swing freely
with out feeling that they will hit the ceiling

Results close to 12 feet in height or 3.5- 4 meters.

Second consideration is the field of view and placement of your cameras.
Your field of view may be a 3.5m cube area. Hence, your cameras need to
be roughly 3.61m away from the subject with a 6mm lens or 5m with an 8.0mm
lens, etc.

Thirdly, camera frame rate is now essential, Motion Analysis suggests 240
frames per second for a golf analysis. Also your tracking parameters
should be reset to match the speed of your markers or events to avoid
"blurring or smearing of data". Slower cameras can be used if you are
focusing at the gross body/trunk movement and not the swing, arms etc.

Fourth, you will experience a complicated body movement involving severe
rotation at high speeds. Some 3D systems cannot track such movement, nor
can they or do not provide an editor to re-identify markers and pathways.
If you need assistance here please let me know and Motion Analysis
Corporation can provide your solution for automated tracker with Auto ID
for such rotations and if necessary and X,Y,Z path editor.

Finally do not forget to protect your cameras from the ball. The ball fits
perfectly into the lens. To my knowledge Cameras are not disposable
supplies.

Good luck and keep your head down!

Daniel India
Vice President
Motion Analysis Corporation
World Sales: Dan.India@motionanalysis.com
Date sent: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 09:08:22 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
From: Michael Orendurff
Subject: Re: Room spec. for golf swing analysis?
To: Jeremy Linskell

We had one of our physicians in the gait lab doing golf
swings for a demo one day, and our 8 foot ceiling was low
enough to give us panic after the first swing. We
switched to chipping over a Tupperware water trap. Based
on this off the cuff experiment I would say a 10 foot
ceiling is the bare minimum. Also 200-500 Hz sampling
would be appropriate.

--Michael
Jeremy:Callaway Golf has had a 6 camera 120 Hz Motion Analysis Corp system
in house for a little over two years now. They may be able to help.

Callaway Golf Company
2285 Rutherford Road, Carlsbad, CA 92008
Telephone (760) 931-1771
FAX (760) 929-8120

.................................................. .......................
Steven E. Irby MS Mayo Foundation
Telephone 507.284.4123 Biomechanics Department
Fax 507.284.5392 Motion Analysis Laboratory
From: Dhendry@aol.com
Date sent: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 23:25:08 EST
To: j.r.linskell@dth.scot.nhs.uk

Ans: H = (h/2) + L
where H = ceiling height
h = golfer height
L = length of club
I had the fortune to work on a golf project for the Mayo Clinic several
years ago. Our gait lab had a section of ceiling that was quite tall.
I'm guessing 10 feet or so. Please refer to Am J Sports Med 1993? I'm
sorry I don't have the exact reference at my finger tip.

Good luck
Tom Cahalan, PT
For a 3-D golf swing motion analysis, I'd recommend a room at least 40
ft x 40 ft with a 15 ft high ceiling. For more details about our
set-up, and more thoughts check out the "how to set up a biomechanics
lab" section of our home page.

I hope this helps.

- Glenn

A SSSS M M IIIIIIII
A A S S MM MM I
A A SS M M M I
AAAAA SS M M I
A A S S M M I
A A SSSS M M IIIIIIII
Glenn S. Fleisig, Ph.D.
email: glennf@asmi.org
home page: http://www.asmi.org
work phone: 205-918-2138
work fax: 205-918-0800
address: American Sports Medicine Institute
1313 13th Street South
Birmingham, Alabama 35205
-

Jeremy Linskell
Manager, Gait Analysis Laboratory
Co-Ordinator, Electronic Assistive Tehcnology Service
Dundee Limb Fitting Centre
Dundee, DD5 1AG, Scotland
tel +1382-730104, fax +1382-480194
email: j.r.linskell@dth.scot.nhs.uk