PDA

View Full Version : Summary: in vitro knee loading condition

psalvia96
03-27-1998, 07:34 AM
Thank you to all for their replies:
>I'am searching a paper of T. R. Gardner in Advenced in Bioenginering (ASME
>BED-28: 279-280, 1995). In this paper, I think T Gardner explain how he
>loaded the iliotibial band, quadriceps and hamstring muscles in in vitro
>simulated knee motion. Indead, I'd want to know what is the best load for
>these muscles and where is the best placement of loading appIication point for
>hamstring, vastus medialis and lateralis muscles and the iliotibial band.

I think that nobody knows T.R Gardner of the Columbia University.
--------------------------
>From Luca Cristofolini :luca@tecno.ior.it

I believe no one knows exactly what forces are transmitted by the ilitibial
band. Several works aimed at estimating it, but only indirectly. This led
to contraddictory results. If you like to get a review of this issue I
suggest that you could read the following two papers:

1 - Ling et al. "Muscular activity and the biomechanics of the hip", Hip
International 6(3): 91-105
This is an interesting analysis of the loads transmited at the hip joint,
with respect to balance and bone adaptation to loads.

2 - Cristofolini L. "Muscular activity and the biomechanics of the hip",
Hip International 7(1): 39-41
The latter is a letter of comments to the former one; in both you will find
an exhaustive list of references to the subject (Paul, Jacob,
Crowninshield, Patriarco, etc.) .

Hope this is of some help.

Kindest regards,

Luca Cristofolini
From: Jean-Francois Benvenuti@epfl.ch
Hi,
I would also be interested in knowing such boundary conditions.
Would you be so kind as to do a small digest of your received answers?
Best regards
Jean Francois
From: Anthony Michael James Bull