PDA

View Full Version : music performers

James F. Kramer
04-05-1998, 10:34 AM
Dear Matilde Espinosa-Sanchez:

performers, I'd like to make you aware of a hand-measurement device, called
the CyberGlove(R). The CyberGlove measures up to 22 different joint angles
of the hand and wrist, and could provide valuable static and dynamic
information about how a musical performer (or even a conductor) moves their
fingers and wrist while playing the piano, violin, cello, flute, etc. The
CyberGlove is a lightweight, flexible Lycra glove with sensors that
accurately measure joint movement at data rates of more than 100 Hz. The
fingertips of the glove are open so a performer could play their instrument
unencumbered. Using the CyberGlove along with our data-recording software
routines, you could easily take hand data on a performance and replay the
data back through a graphical reconstruction of the hand, or do spectral
analysis in Matlab.

Additionally, we have considered adding pressure-sensing pads to the
fingertips of the CyberGlove so you could determine joint-stress
information, but we haven't made it commercially available yet. Let me
know if you would find such a pressure-sensing option valuable.

If you'd like more information on the CyberGlove, please refer to our web
page at http://www.virtex.com, or email me directly, at kramer@virtex.com.

I wish you the best of luck with your research endeavors.

Sincerely,

James F. Kramer, Ph.D.

>Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 15:38:20 -0600
>From: ESPINOSA SANCHEZ MATILDE
>Subject: music performers
>
>Hello all,
>
>I met a pianist today, we were talking about music performers, their need of
>fitness when they play for large period of time sessions, stress, postures,
>and the performer biomechanics. He teachs at National School of Music and
>he would like promote some studies on this mater.
>
>I wonder if there is someone who have got some references about biomechanical
>research (also fitness) on music/instrument performance (piano, violin,
cello,
>flute, conductor, etc.).
>
>I would appreciate any help, advise or tip.
>

>Thank you and greetings.
>

>Mat
>

> .. M. en C. Matilde Espinosa-Sanchez
> . . Investigacion en Biomecanica.