PDA

View Full Version : Summary: forces acting on the humerus

Patrick Genoud, Ph.d.
04-14-1998, 05:10 PM
Dear Biomch-l subscribers,

One month ago, I submitted the following question to your atention:

Gabriel Baud-Bovy wrote:

> I am curently working on a 3D FEA model of a prosthetized humerus. To
> calculate the stresses induced in the system (bone-cement-prosthesis) by
> simple movements (such as pure abduction or pure flexion of the arm at
> 90 degrees), I need to know the forces acting on the humerus at these
> positions together with their point(s) of application. Naturally my
> model will only take into account the principal forces involved in each
> position.
>
> Can anybody give me some suggestions or indicate some references on the
> subject.

I received only three answers to my question, with one reference in
each. Here they are:

Krystyna Gielo-Perczak wrote:

> Dear Patrick,
>
> I have analyzed the biomechanical model of the gleno-humeral joint (GHJ)as
> a statically
> undefinable model of a variable structure which includes the influence of
> the loose
> joint and as well as the geometry of the joint surfaces. I calculated the
> GHJ load capacity
> taking into consideration the different geometries of the glenoid cavity of
> scapula, the head of humerus, and geometry of the two muscles: lattissimus
> dorsi and deltoideus lateral part, and the ligaments of the joint capsule.
>
> The following paper will give you some ideas and details of the mechanics
> of the GHJ:
>
> Gielo-Perczak, K. (1989) Analysis and modeling of the gleno-humeral joint
> mechanism structure.
> SOMA-Engineering for the Human Body, vol.3 no.3, 35-46.
>
> Hope that is helpful,
>
> Krystyna Gielo-Perczak

> ----------------
> Krystyna Gielo-Perczak, Ph.D.
> Department of Kinesiology
> University of Waterloo,
> Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1
> (519) 888-4567, ext. 6371
> Fax:(519)746-6776

If someone is interested I have a collection of other references related
to this topic.

Patrick

Patrick GENOUD, PhD
Clinique d'Orthopedie, Hopital Cantonal Universitaire, CH-1211 Geneve 14
Phone: (++41) 22 37 27 837 Fax: (++41) 22 37 27 799
Email: genoud@cmu.unige.ch