PDA

View Full Version : Swimming/Damping

Geoffrey.walsh
04-24-1998, 06:37 PM
Thomas Nikodelis wrote:

> Dear members of the list,
> In one of our research projects, we are investigating the patterns of
> interlimb coordination during
> rythmical athletic movements and particularly during swimming. Our
> extensive bibliographic search
> on the subject was not quite succesfull. We have also searched the biomch-L
> archives and found
> very little information available on this topic.
> Your help in locating any references or published material on the topic
> would be appreciated very
> much!!!! Looking forward to hearing from you.
>
> Thomas Nikodelis
> Biomechanisc Lab
> Dep. Of Physical Education & Sports Sciences
> Aristotelian University, Thessaloniki, Greece
> e-mail: nikmak@phed.auth.gr

The difference between being on land and being in water is the degree
of damping.

Measurements, on land show that several, perhaps all segments of a
limb are potentially resonant.

When free to move they have a resonant frequencies which can be
measured with comparatively simple apparatus (middle level technology
anyway). The are not however highly resonant, the Q typically being
between the values of about 2 & 4.

In the water the damping will be increased and I would expect the
limbs to be no longer resonant, being either critically damped or more
likely, over damped.

I am not referring to the wetting !

Geoffrey Walsh--
Email -