PDA

View Full Version : Re: Rheumatoid arthritis and humidity

Geoffrey.walsh
06-22-1998, 03:13 PM
M Swanepoel wrote:

> (Most of you will know that increased joint stiffness for example, is
> largely perceived due to stretching and resetting of proprioceptive
> nerve endings - despite joints not being mechanically stiffer at all!)
------------------------------------
I am very interested in this comment. Some years ago, with others I
measured various parameters in people with rheumatoid arthritis.
Contrary to expectations there was no excess stiffness and I have
further unpublished data along the same lines. The measurements were of
course within the range of free movement. One publication is

Walsh E. G., Wright G. W., Powers N. Nuki G. & Lakie M. (1989)
'Biodynamics of the wrist in rheumatoid arthritis - the enigma of
stiffness.' Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, 203,
197-201.

There was no difference beween measurements after breakfast and those
made later in the day,

How do you know the role of the proprioceptors ? Please give information
as to where this work is published.

Email -

Geoffrey.Walsh@ed.ac.uk

http://www.ed.ac.uk/~gwalsh