PDA

View Full Version : Re: Summary: Isokinetic and isometric testing for impairmentevaluat

Docv
07-28-1998, 04:20 AM
Javier Sanchez Lacuesta wrote:

> Dear friends:
> I regret I have had only two answers to my question posted last week.
> I have decided to include the two answers received for your
> consideration, although I know you will be disappointed.
> Perhaps Biomechanics has not penetrated much yet in the field...
> Regards,

These responses generated a bit of interest on my part. I must agree
that they do not specifically address your question (as I was hoping
they would). So here's my $.02 worth (or maybe that's all it is worth);

The AMA's Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment, 4th Edition
contains a recommendation for classification of motor deficit on page 49
(table 12a) and for the procedure (table 12b). From the descriptions
contained within these tables, they appear to assume that manual muscle
testing is performed. These descriptions also do not lend themselves to
any type of computer based muscle testing (I'll be happy to forward
these upon request).

Depending on where you are located these guides may not apply. Here in
the US, they are officially used in close to 80% of the state worker's
comp systems, with most of the other 20% using them in one fashion or
another, unofficially.

There was an well constructed article regarding impairment ratings of
the upper extremity published recently in the Journal of Back and
Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation 8(1997)9-17 by Frank E. Jones entitled
'Impairment ratings and disability issues of the upper extremity'. While
it does not specifically address your question, it does discuss
procedures for evaluating motor deficit in upper extremity impairment
evaluations.

Hope this helps!
--

Steve
stevev@chiro.org

Stephen W. Vaitl, D.C.
Certified Chiropractic Sports Physician
Certified Chiropractic Extremity Practitioner
Director of Rehabilitation
Assistant Professor, Department of Principles and Practice
Cleveland Chiropractic College - Kansas City
6401 Rockhill Rd
K.C., MO 64131