PDA

View Full Version : Re: BACK-WARDS PEDALING ON STATIONARY CYCLES

Bryan Kirking
08-16-1998, 11:19 PM
Michael,
There is some literature claiming that eccentric muscle contractions have higher risk of injuries. You may want to do medline search for eccentric contractions as well as for articles by john faulkner, rb armstrong, kevin mccully, jan friden, and richard lieber.

Bryan Kirking
Research Engineer
Department of Orthopedic Surgery
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, Texas

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael J. Worden, H/FI [SMTP:fitness@warwick.net]
Sent: Friday, August 14, 1998 7:17 PM
To: BIOMCH-L@NIC.SURFNET.NL
Subject: BACK-WARDS PEDALING ON STATIONARY CYCLES

To the Group:
I am searching for advice on a question that has been raised at our
fitness studio: is it safe to pedal in reverse on a studio cycle
(weighted fly wheel = 38 pounds)? I do not believe that it is
biomechanically sound to do so, not to mention potentially dangerous. I
would appreciate any professional opinions on the matter.

Michael J. Worden