PDA

View Full Version : Re: Surface contact of the knee joint

Ahmet Erdemir
09-01-1998, 06:01 PM
On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Chung-huang YU wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am wondering whether someone out there can help me.
>
> I have project which aims to model the 3D knee joint as realistic as
> possible: 3D artificulation surfaces, ligaments, muscles with wrapping
> points, patella, etc. I want to calculate the contact point and contact
> forces once the muscle activations are specified.
>
> I would think there are 6 d.o.f in the knee, and due to the constraints
> of muscle forces, ligaments, etc., the joint angle and contact points
> would be determined. My difficulty is how to device a surface contact
> algorithm for this task and how to do it, via a commerical package, or
> programming in C? Another difficulty is that the soft tissues wrap
> around the the bones, so the line of action is changeing during motion.
>
> Are there any packages avaiable or any reference papers for these
> probelms?

Hi,

I just finished my Master thesis related with the three-dimensional
modelling of the human knee joint. I don't know if you are trying to built
a dynamic model or a static model, and I am not sure if you model the
contact between the bones as rigid and deformable, but the references
below may help you to develop a model in either case.

Ahmet ERDEMIR
ODTU, ICHMT, Mak. Muh. Bol.
06531, Ankara, TURKEY
phone: +90 312 210 2541