PDA

View Full Version : Summary of Replies: Memorizing Equations

Jared Coburn
02-02-1999, 06:28 AM
Hello Biomch-L-ers

Several days ago I posted a message to the list regarding the
memorization of equations for an undergraduate biomechanics course in
human movement. The responses have been very thought provoking and I
would like to share them with the list.

It is interesting to note the differences of opinion on this issue, and
although I have not been totally swayed one way or the other, I am happy
to see that others are also giving the matter careful consideration.

Here is my original post, followed by responses received to date. I will
follow-up with another post if more responses come in.

Original Post:

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Jared Coburn wrote:

Hello Group,
I'm hoping some of you can offer some insight into your philosophy
regarding memorization of equations for undergraduate biomechanics of
human movement courses. Specifically, I'm interested in knowing whether
or not you require your students to memorize equations for velocity,
acceleration, angular velocity and acceleration, Newton's Laws of
Motion, moment of inertia, etc., for exams.
Thank you in advance for any insight.

Jared Coburn
Assistant Professor
Department of Kinesiology
California Baptist University
Riverside, CA 92504
(909) 343-4298

From: Joann Johnson
To: Jared Coburn

After doing this for forty five years now, I have come up with what has
worked best for me for undergraduate human biomechanics applied physics.
I let them make a "cheat sheet"....they can write anything they want to
on
one 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper. Anything. This always includes
formulaes. It motivates each student to make one of these cheat sheets,
and in writing almost everything down in the most miniscule writing or
smallest fonts imaginable, requires them several hours of
time....well-spent.... getting ready for the test.

Another thing I have tried recently, is to allow them to work in pairs
as
they prepare for the testing and actually take the test in pairs. I
never
thought I would do something like this, but test scores have risen
dramatically and I see a lot of good things happening because of this,
too. No one wants to be "carried" or be a "carrier"...lots of pressure
on
each student to be an equal partner. This is optional, of course. Some
just do better by themselves.

Good luck in teaching this fascinating discipline!

Joann

Joann Johnson, PhD Phone: 1.218.726.8530
Professor of Physical Education 1.218.724.7256
SPHC 107 UMD Fax 1.218.726.6243
Duluth, MN 55812-2496 email:jjohnso6@d.umn.edu

From: John Chow [j-chow1@uiuc.edu]
To: Jared Coburn
Re: Equations for Undergrad Course

Students in my biomechanics class do not need to memorize equations.
But
they are required to know how to apply equations to solve problems. I
use
Hay's book (The Biomechanics of Sports Techniques) for my class and
students are allowed to bring a xerox copy of Appendix B (Equations) to
the
exams. I even let them bring a copy of Appendix A (Elementary
Trigonometry) if they find it helpful during the exams.

--------------------------------
John Chow tel:(217)244-3987
Department of Kinesiology fax:(217)244-7322
241D Louise Freer Hall e-mail:j-chow1@uiuc.edu
960 S. Goodwin Ave., MC-052 http://www.kines.uiuc.edu/
Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Urbana, IL 61801

From: N.FOWLER [N.Fowler@mmu.ac.uk]
To: jcoburn@CALBAPTIST.EDU
Re: Equations for Undergrad Course

I took a philosophical decision a number of years ago that memorizing
equations was unimportant in the context of the learning environment.
What you need to question is what are you trying to achieve through
your courses - If remembering the equations is central to the
achieving your learning outcomes then I guess that you need to assess
this in the exam. However, I suspect that your intended learning
outcomes are more directed towards the understanding of the
principles and the ability of the student to solve problems - The
equations afterall are only tools for solving problems !!!!!

Therefore I teach my students about what the principles are and how
to go about applying these principles and laws to understanding the
context in which they are working. If you like a problem or
application driven approach. When I examine the students I allow them
to bring in any equations they which because what I want to know is
can they use them to answer questions. Those who have remembered them
can work quicker by not having to look things up.

What I have found is that students gain a greater understanding of
the biomechanics with this approach. They concentrate on what the
equations mean and how the laws can be applied rather than focussing
upon learning equations by rote, leaving no time to learn the
important stuff.

Dr Neil Fowler
Senior Lecturer in Sports Biomechanics

Dr Neil Fowler