PDA

View Full Version : Xpost: Handicap FTP archive now available

H.j. Woltring, Fax/tel +31.40.413 744
08-18-1992, 08:50 PM
Dear List readers,

The following item was distributed these days via Usenet's sci.med newsgroup.

Regards -- hjw

Article 27401 in sci.med:
From: wtm@bunker.shel.isc-br.com (Bill McGarry)
Subject: Handicap ftp archive now available!
Date: 15 Aug 92 04:05:01 GMT

I am pleased to announce the opening of an anonymous ftp site dedicated to
handling programs and information files for the handicapped. The site is:

handicap.shel.isc-br.com

and the IP address is 129.189.4.184

The files on this machine are duplicates of the files from
the Handicap News BBS. As I get more disk space and time,
I will include all 2800+ issues of the Handicap Digest.

What kind of files can you find here? Sign language tutors,
screen enlargers, one-finger programs, the complete text
of ADA (American Disabilities Act), screen readers, speech
synthesizer drivers, the Handicap BBS list, the IBM
Disability Resource Center guides, back issues of the Braille
Monitor, the Braille Forum and other various newsletters
and much more. Right now, there are somewhere around 800 files
and programs and I have another 800 or so that I have not had
the time to check, re-format and store on the archive.

Actually, this site has been up and running for the past 6 months
or so. I have just re-organized the entire system and moved it
to a slightly larger disk.

Current directories are:

acb American Council of the Blind
ada Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
adapt ADAPT organization
aging Aging
als ALS
amputee Amputee
apple Information on the Apple and Mac
arth Arthritis
artic Artic configuration files
augment Augmentative communication
autism Autism
bbslists Handicap BBS list and medical BBS list
braille Files and programs for braille
calendar Calendar of Conferences and other Events
care Caregiver information
cf Cystic Fibrosis
cfs Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
children Children and disabilities
cp Cerebral Palsy
ct The handicapped in Connecticut
develop Developmental delay information
dogs Guide dogs
down Down Syndrome
educ Education and the handicapped
esoft Educational software
euth Euthanasia
forum Copies of the Braille Forum newsletter
hearing Files and programs for the hearing impaired
ibm IBM's Disability Resource Database
info Various information files
large Screen and print enlargers
learn Learning disabilities
legal Legislation and the handicapped
leisure Leisure and the handicapped
md Muscular Dystrophy
misc Don't know where to put these
mobile Files and programs for the mobility impaired
monitor Copies of the Braille Monitor newsletter
ms Multiple Sclerosis
nfb National Federation of the Blind
nletter Various newsletters
other Info on other computers other than IBM and Apple
pain Chronic pain
people Handicapped people in the news
polio Polio and Post-polio
psych Psychological disorders
rare Rare disorders
rehab Rehabilitation
seizures Seizures information
social Social Security
speech Files and programs for speech synthesizers
stroke Information on strokes/traumatic head injuries
tech Handicapped and technology
unix Programs for Unix and the handicapped
uspeech Speech friendly utilities
visual Files and programs for visually impaired (enlargers, etc)
work Work and the handicapped

You will find some of these directories empty or nearly so, other
directories overflowing. I have several hundred more files and programs
that I have not had the time to put either here or on the Handicap
News BBS so hopefully there will be more information constantly
available here. If certain directories get too large, I will
split them up.

In each directory, there should be a file called "00-index.txt"
which will be a listing and description of the files in that directory.

Hopefully, there will be one file in the "/pub" directory (where
you start out when you first ftp here) called "index" which will
be a listing of all of the files available. At some point, there
will also be a file called "new" which will describe what is new
within the last 30 days.

Most of the text files in here are in PC format, that is, each
line is terminated by both a line feed and a carriage return. If
you are viewing these files on a non-PC machine, you may have
some problems or you may see control M's at the end of each line.
There are various programs which can remove these control M's
if you do not want to use your normal text editor.

Please use your e-mail address as your password when you log
on as anonymous. This allows me to contact you if I find
a problem with any certain file.

One special note: Due to the sheer number of files and programs
for the visually impaired, I've created 11 different directories
as follows:

acb American Council of the Blind
artic Artic configuration files
braille Files and programs for braille
dogs Guide dogs
forum Copies of the Braille Forum newsletter
large Screen and print enlargers
monitor Copies of the Braille Monitor newsletter
nfb National Foundation of the Blind
speech Files and programs for speech synthesizers
uspeech Speech friendly utilities
visual Files and programs for visually impaired (enlargers, etc)

I will still continue to keep the SIMTEL20 directory, MISC.HANDICAP,
up to date with the major programs.

If you have suggestions for new directories and any comments on how I
can improve this site and make it more useful to YOU, please let me know.

If you would like to upload a program or file, PLEASE do. You must
log in as "incoming" or "upload" and use your e-mail address as your
password. This will place you in the /pub/upload directory. Please
leave me a readme type file or send me mail describing the file.
Programs must be demos, shareware or freeware.

I will make announcements of all new files and programs in the
misc.handicap newsgroup and the Handicap Digest mailing list.

If there are any questions, comments, suggestions, please let me know.

Bill McGarry
+1 (203) 337-1518

UUCP: {oliveb, philabs, decvax, yale}!bunker!wtm
INTERNET: wtm@bunker.shel.isc-br.com
BITNET: l-hcap@ndsuvm1.bitnet
Fidonet: The Handicap News BBS (141/420) 1-203-337-1607
(300/1200/2400 baud, 24 hours)
Compuserve: 73170,1064