PDA

View Full Version : Re: human body dimensions

Brent Wilson
12-01-1999, 06:19 AM
In a message dated 11/24/99 9:15:54 AM Central Standard Time,
coleyg@BARC.BHAM.AC.UK writes:

> Dear All,
>
> I am currently looking at the effects of the inertia of the lower leg on
> injury outcome in pedestrian-car accidents. For this I need some
> information regarding body dimensions, such as knee and ankle
circumference,
> based on a percentile (male and female) scale.
>
> Can anyone please tell me where I can get this type of information?
> Preferably ranging from a 5th %ile female to a 95th %ile male.
>
> Many Thanks for your help.
>
> Gary Coley

I have been on vacation so this is a little late, but hopefully it can help.
Here is a list of some of the best sources for human factor designs. Most of
this information is from the book "Engineering Design for Safety" by Thomas
Hunter.

SAE J833 - Human Physical Dimensions
ISO 3411 Human Physical Dimensions of Operators
MSIS - NASA STD 3000 - Man System Integration Standards
MIL-H-1472D - Human Engineering Design Criteria
MIL-H-46855B - Human Engineering Requirements

Brent Wilson