PDA

View Full Version : Re: Is there more than one type of kinetic energy

Felix C. G. Santos
03-16-2000, 09:41 PM
Dear all,

I would to comment on the question raised by Richard Baker and
maybe adding something to the response by Jon Dingwell. Usually I consider
the kinetic energy as

T = int_{\Omega}(|V \cdot V) \rho dx (integral of the square of the
velocity modulus times
the density
times differential of volume)

That takes into account inhomogeneities and the possibility of deformation.
Complex media usually presents complex coupling behavior between certain
more simple decomposition of the
kinetic energy. When modelling highly inhomogeneous segments in an automatic
form we can always use the formulation above for discretized domains (like
in finite element methods).

Best regards,

Felix C. G. Santos
Computational Mechanics Group - GMC/UFPE
Federal University of Pernambuco
Brazil