PDA

View Full Version : commercialization of research tools

Ton Van Den Bogert
03-21-2000, 03:16 AM
Dear Biomch-L subscribers,

The posting below was submitted to Biomch-L, and I am forwarding it with
some editorial comments.

As you know, Biomch-L does not distribute commercial postings. This
posting, however, is somewhat different because this is not an attempt
to sell products or services to our subscribers. Mr. Thomas is not
currently affiliated with any company, but some of you may know him from
his former association with Penny & Giles Ltd, a maker of flexible
goniometers. He is now interested in forming partnerships with
researchers for commercialization of research tools.

Regards,

Ton van den Bogert, Biomch-L co-moderator

From: IanThome@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 14:48:55 EST
Subject: What's out there today that could be the business of tomorrow ?
To: Biomch-L@nic.surfnet.nl

Many of the tools used by biomechanists and ergonomists today were parts of
research programmes a few years ago - Vicon....electrogoniometers....cardiac
monitors....footplates etc.,

It took someone, perhaps with a different point of view to that of the
academic groups that invented them, to spot the commercial potential,
develop them for the market, and make them into the successful products and
businesses that they are today.

Having been successfully involved in this kind of activity in the past in
the
biomechanics, ergonomics and rehabilitation sectors I would welcome the
opportunity to talk through your developments with you - what is out there?
Where do you think it could go ?

My possible interests are in electromechanical systems/sensors -
unfortunately I don't think I could contribute much to a software only
project....

Ian Thomas BSc., PhD
10 Mandinam Park, Swansea, UK SA2 7AW.
Tel +44 1792 296 552