Xpost from comp.robotics: panning camera

  • Xpost from comp.robotics: panning camera

    Article 3016 in comp.robotics:
    From: otto@sybase.com (Otto Lind)
    Subject: Re: Pan/tilt heads
    Date: 29 Sep 92 00:45:28 GMT
    Sender: news@Sybase.COM

    In article , br@cs.cmu.edu (Bill Ross) writes:

    |> I'm looking for a camera pan/tilt head. It should be small,
    |> fairly quick, and be equipped with pots or encoders to sense
    |> camera orientation. Any ideas on who could sell me one of
    |> these?
    |>
    |> Thanks!
    |> Bill
    |> br@cs.cmu.edu

    Hi Bill,

    A commercially available computer-controlled pan-tilt unit is being
    produced by a local Bay Area company called Directed Perception. It
    has been designed to be low-cost ($1200), fast (e.g., over 180
    degrees/sec), and accurate (e.g., resolution of 3.09 seconds/arc per
    position). I saw a Beta unit (it's now entering Beta testing), and
    it was impressive.

    Some info from their preliminary spec sheet:

    GENERAL FEATURES
    * Simple to use from any RS-232 terminal or computer
    * Fast and accurate camera positioning at low cost
    * Precise control of position, speed & acceleration
    * Small form factor
    * Allow on-the-fly position and speed changes
    * Self-calibration upon reset
    * Motor power consumption controlled from host
    * Can use DC power input from unregulated or noisy sources
    PAN-TILT PERFORMANCE
    * Maximum rated payload: over 3 lbs.
    * Maximum speed: over 180 degrees/sec
    * Acceleration/Deceleration: Trapezoidal, on-the-fly target
    speed and position changes
    * Resolution: 3.086 arc minutes per position
    BUILT-IN CONNECTIVITY OPTIONS
    * Basic mode: Host RS-232 port connected to single pan-tilt
    unit and controller
    * Extended mode: Control of multiple pan-tilt units from one
    or more host computers. Multidrop, high-speed RS-485
    packet network with error detection.
    POWER REQUIREMENTS
    * Input voltage: 11-25VDC unregulated
    MECHANICAL
    * Weight 2.2 lbs
    * Dimensions: 3" wide X 5.2" wide X 4" deep
    * Load mounting: standard #1/4-20 screw and mounting plate
    easily removed for custom modifications
    * Pan-Tilt mounting: Bottom and front #1/4-20 mounting.

    Information can be obtained from:
    Directed Perception
    1451 Capuchino Avenue
    Burlingame, CA 94010, U.S.A.
    +1 (415) 342-9399 (Tel & fax)

    Otto

    P.S. I don't have any connections with Directed Perception, just happen
    to know the people there.

    --
    Otto Lind Sybase, Inc.
    otto@sybase.com 6475 Christie Ave Emeryville, CA 94608