Re: timers

  • Re: timers

    Dear Jeff,

    I developed a timer used to control the signal output one year ago. This
    small timer system can be controlled both manually and electronically. The
    basic idea of this timer development is to use a Monostable/Astable
    Multivibrator (CD4047) to generate a basic clock frequency; and use several
    Decade Counters/Dividers (CD4017) to get the timing accuracy you want. All
    manual or electric control, and input or output of the timer can be built
    up based on this basic structure of the timer. The cost (not include the
    labor) should be within $400USD.

    Also, it might be possible to use some kind of software package (LabView)
    combining with other I/O device to realise the function you need if you
    have these facilities. But, I have no experience of this approach.

    This info is just for your reference. Please don't hesitate to contact me
    if I could be of any further help.

    Cheers,

    Dong

    At 10:29 6/10/00 -0500, you wrote:
    >Biomech'ers
    >We are looking for simple digital timers/stopwatches that
    >can be controlled electronically or manually. For example, an
    >external electronic circuit with a manual switch or TTL signal should
    >be able to stop and start the timer. We would also like to at some point
    >be able to hook up photoelectonic switches. These timers will
    >be used for reaction time and movement time studies as well as to
    >double check some of our timing data we gather from our kinematic
    >and kinetic instrumentation.
    >
    >The timer needs at least 1 ms precision and readouts. Layfayette
    >Instruments has such devices, but they are expensive (about $600USD).
    >It seems to me that less expensive devices are available. I am not
    >against building a timer, as long as I can get the parts off the shelf
    >(e.g. RadioShack) and have easy instructions.
    >
    >Anyone have any suggestions?
    >--
    >Jeff Ives, Ph.D.
    >Dept. of Exercise & Sport Sciences Phone: 607-274-1751
    >Ithaca College Fax: 607-274-1943
    >Ithaca, NY 14850 USA Email: jives@ithaca.edu

    Dong CHEN
    PhD, MEng, BEng

    School of Physiotherapy
    Faculty of Health Sciences
    La Trobe University
    Bundoora, VIC 3082, AUSTRALIA

    Tel: +61 3 9479 5771; FAX: +61 3 9479 5768
    http://www.health.latrobe.edu.au/Health/Schools/PT/