Fwd: VCR showing both fields : summary

  • Fwd: VCR showing both fields : summary

    Last week I asked about field capable VCRs.
    The bulk of the responses recommended the Panasonic AG-7350
    Other choices were Panasonic AG-4700, AG-6200, MD-830, AG-DS840,
    AG-DS850, and DV2000, which is a miniDV VCR.
    Note : Not all of these models are still being made.

    For more information on field capable VCRs, here is an explanation
    from James Carollo:
    >NTSC video requires that fields 16.7ms apart be interlaced into odd
    >and even fields
    >(odd fields are the odd numbered scan lines, even the even numbered
    >scan lines).
    >Presented together, they comprise a frame, 33.3ms apart (30Hz). Most consumer
    >and industrial level VCRs present slow-motion as individual fields, but they
    >skip either the even or odd field. For example, if they begin with an odd
    >field, then the correponding even field is shown next, but then all
    >successive fields are even (sequence odd, even, even, even, ...). You have
    >to get into much more expensive broadcast or animation decks to be field
    >specific.

    Thanks to all those who responded.
    Nitin