    From: ialdous
    To: BIOMCH-L@NIC.SURFNET.NL
    Sent: Saturday, January 13, 2001 11:49 AM
    Subject: Re: What does the fibula do?

    Hi Bimchers!

    I am puzzled as to why we have two bones in our lower leg. Is this for
    rotation similar to the radius-ulna design in the forearm or some other
    reason? We don't seem to be able to rotate the lower leg with the same range
    of motion as our forearm. What is the evolutionary history behind the two bone
    design in the lower leg?
    Are two bones really better than one?
    Your thoughts are welcomed and encouraged.

    Ian Aldous
    Dept. Biomedical Engineering
    Dalhousie University
    ialdous@is2.dal.ca