Re: Summer science quiz #3

  • Re: Summer science quiz #3

    Ho boy, another classical problem.

    Yes, the fact the "joint" is the ankle in birds and the knee in humans does
    answer the question. In fact, the knee and ankle both bend in the same
    direction in both animals. Again, we need to re-phrase the question. Why
    does the bird have such a long foot, and why does it walk with such a small
    portion of the foot in contact with the ground? (I should point out that
    from, a comparative perspective, the human plantigrade posture is the more
    unusual adaptation. I should also point out that since both birds and
    mammals (humans) evolved independently from a reptilian ancestor the
    orientation of their knees and ankles is an example of convergent evolution
    -- ie., both evolutionary lineages came up with the same biomechanical
    solution).

    My solution: the foot (the bony link between the ankle and the toes) is the
    primary locomotor lever. Animals with long feet, relative to the rest of the
    limb, are adapted more for speed than for power. Thus, a bird runs or hops
    (a hop may be useful in providing the initial rapid airborne thrust,
    although I am just guessing here since I don't know a lot about birds) while
    a human strides slowly, but with greater bipedal stability. Humans with
    "short" feet are evolutionary hold overs from the necessity of powerful
    locomotion in their arboreal (tree climbing) ancestors.

    Thomas M. Greiner, Ph.D.
    Assistant Professor
    Department of Anatomy
    New York Chiropractic College