Re: Soccer ball pressure and mass

  • Re: Soccer ball pressure and mass

    Dear all,

    To explain it as short as possible from the physical kind of view:

    Input:
    10psi = 0.689bar
    12psi = 0.827bar
    14psi = 0.965bar

    Calculation:
    1. difference of 0.276bar (10psi to 14psi)
    2. volume of ball size 5 (diameter is 220mm)equals 0.0056m³ (calculating
    with size bigger than real bladder!!!)
    4. density of air 1.293kg/m³ at 20°C and 1.032bar

    Results: weight of additional air from 10psi to 14psi = max. 0.0019kg or
    1.9g for a size 5 ball
    equals 0.95g from 10psi to 12psi or from 12psi to 14psi
    every ball smaller than this (size 3 or 4) must have less weight
    difference due to less air inside.

    Thinks to think about:

    - about 200g for a ball seemed to be very less, so this will never be a ball
    for soccer ( >400g!!!)
    - a differents of 130g (measured on size 3 from 10 to 14psi) means a
    pressure of 18bar (>260psi) or
    an inflating to a size more than 570mm.

    Please check your test procedure:

    - is the identical ball used for 10 to 14psi?
    - same moisture
    - same temperature (very less influence)

    best regards,
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Karsten Westphal
    Testing Engineer