    Dear Colleagues,

    I posted the following message two weeks ago. I have so far received one message and would appreciate more input on this subject in the future.
    I appreciate Dr. Hayashi's kind response and his paper. I thank all people who have read my message.

    on Fri, 20 Sep 2002 LePing Li wrote:

    > Dear Colleagues,
    >
    > While some researchers believe that articular cartilage exhibits significant intrinsic viscoelastic behavior, others have not fully convinced by the relevant observations or modeling. As I understand from literature available to me at this time, I assume
    >
    > (1) that the intrinsic viscoelasticity (simply referred as viscoelasticity hereafter) of the proteoglycan matrix (excluding water) is negligible;
    > (2) that the viscoelasticity of cartilage skeleton is mainly contributed by the collagen fibrillar matrix; and
    > (3) that the fibrillar viscoelasticity is more significant when the fibrillar strain is larger.
    >
    > However, my literature search may be incomplete. For example, I might have missed some very important earlier publications which are not available from electronic database. Therefore I would appreciate
    > i) all comments on any of my three assumptions, fors and cons. Please kindly provide me with reference citations whenever possible.
    > ii) any observations on mechanical tests of type II collagen fibrils, or other types collagen fibrils if you think they are comparable in qualitative behavior. All information and publications (old or new, formal publications or informal presentations, reports) are welcome.
    >
    > Thank you very much for your attention and your input.
    >
    > Kind regards,

    Sincerely yours,
    LePing LI (Ph.D.)
    -------------------
    Research Scientist
    Faculty of Kinesiology
    University of Calgary
    2500 University Drive, N.W.
    Calgary, Alberta
    Canada T2N 1N4

    on Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Dr. Kozaburo HAYASHI wrote:

    Dr. Li:

    As I presented at the WCB2002 held in Calgary in August as a plenary
    lecture, we succeeded in the tensile tests of collagen fibers (1 micrometer
    in diameter) obtained from the rabbit patellar tendon. The fiber is
    considered to mostly contain type 1 collagen. This work has been published
    by Miyazaki, H. and Hayashi, K. in Biomedical Microdevices, Vol. 2, No. 2,
    Pages 151-157, 1999.
    I hope this information is somewhat useful for you.
    Best regards,

    Kozaburo Hayashi

    Kozaburo Hayashi, PhD
    Biomechanics Laboratory