    From: * Biomechanics and Movement Science listserver
    [mailto:BIOMCH-L@NIC.SURFNET.NL] On Behalf Of Chan Hau Kong
    Sent: vrijdag 14 januari 2005 6:17
    To: BIOMCH-L@NIC.SURFNET.NL
    Subject: [BIOMCH-L] Outdoor Motion Capture System

    Dear Members,

    I am planning to purchase an outdoor motion capture system for
    biomechanics research and need some advice from experienced users of
    such systems.

    While there is a plethora of motion capture system in the market,
    the system I need has to be able to function well in an outdoor
    environment as certain constraints do not allow me to reproduce the
    setting in a laboratory. Because of this outdoor requirement, certain
    traditional motion capture system (e.g. Vicon) is not suitable due to
    occlusion, environment interference or large number of equipment needed
    to be set up. Has anyone evaluated a system suitable for outdoor use?

    I came across a couple of motion capture system, namely Gypsy Gyro
    by Meta Motion, Analogus and Animazoo; and Shapewrap by Measurand but is
    sceptical about their accuracy, software roboustness and suitability for
    biomechanics research. Hope to hear some feedback from users of these
    systems.

    Thank you very much for your time and advice!

    Regards,
    Kelvin Chan Hau Kong
    DSO National Laboratories
    Singapore