Summary about Fortran to C request

  • Summary about Fortran to C request

    Dear Biomch-l Readers,

    Here is the summary of the request I made a few days ago.

    Original Request:

    > I'm looking for a software able to translate Fortran 77 source
    > into ANSI C. Does someone know the name of such a tool and/or the name of the
    > company for the distribution ?
    >
    > Thank you for any help !

    ************************************************** ************************

    In summary: there is a public software F2C available via Netlib. FTP
    protocol as well as e-mail request can be used (see message from
    T. van den Bogert).
    I tried several time via FTP, but despite all the advices I received
    (see below) no attempt succeed. So, at last I used e-mail and it worked very
    well.
    A mention to another software (FORC) is made by Rene Steiner.
    Note the mail from Jesus Dapena about the structure of the Makefile to
    use with F2c.

    Serge Van Sint Jan (sabattical)
    Paul W. Brand Research Laboratory
    Carville, Louisiana

    PS: Networks and mailing-lists are really nice tools, aren't they ?!

    **** Ulrich Hahn's first mail*******************************************

    Try using f2c, here is how to get it:

    F2c is being maintained at research.att.com; ftp there, login as netlib
    and cd to f2c.

    Hope this helps,
    uli

    PS: Since this topic could be of interest for others too, how about
    a summary of replies.

    --
    : Ulrich Hahn hahn@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de : Sorry I got only 4 lines, :
    : Department of biomechanics : thats not enough space for:

    **** Rene Steiner mail ************************************************** ******

    I had the same problem some time ago and I found out that there is a
    public domain package by AT&T called f2c. This is available on many FTP
    sites. However, the authors do not claim that the conversion program
    provides maintainable code. In my experience (which dates from early
    1992) the code could only provide a basis for a manual conversion,
    especially because I/O and array management is very clumsy. This comes
    from the goal that the executable be exactly identical to the one produced
    by a specific FORTRAN compiler in their lab...

    More useful, but unfortunately beyond our budget at the time is FORC
    by Cobalt Blue, 875 Old Roswell Road, Suite D-400, Roswell, GA 30076, USA
    (Tel. (404) 518-1116, FAX: (404) 640-1182). They sent me a demo of their
    program which was limited to some 50 lines of FORTRAN source code. The
    C code produced by this was close to the maximum one could expect from
    a mechanical conversion. At the time the package cost about 1000$.

    What I finally did was to use the f2c output as a base and to use the
    demo version of FORC for seperate critical code segments - and to do
    most of the work manually. However, to me standard programming philosophy
    of FORTRAN77 differs significantly from current C practice so that one
    cannot avoid considerable additional programming when switching languages.

    Hope this helps a bit, although it is probably encouraging only if you
    are either rich or do not need maintainable code :-)

    Cheers, Rene

    | Rene Steiner | |
    | Neurologisches Therapiecentrum | phone: +49-211-7816-159 |
    | Hohensandweg 37 | FAX: +49-211-784 353 |
    | D-40591 Duesseldorf | |
    | Germany | steiner@c1.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de |
    | A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat (Monty Python, Nudge Nudge) |

    **** Ian Nimmo-Smith's mail ************************************************

    The package called f2c is what you want. You will be able to find it on
    a variety of ftp servers, though it is maintained in the netlib server
    at research.att.com (AT&T I Think) in the directory /netlib/f2c You
    have to build a version for your system. There are MSDOS and Unix
    versions.

    You use f2c to translate prog.f to prog.c Then, apply cc to prog.c
    and link prog.o with two special libraries (supplied in the f2c
    distribution).

    I have used it quite successfully to port substantial Fortran code to
    run on a system that does not have a Fortran compiler. The new
    executable performed identically (at the level of numerical input and
    output) to the original. The resulting C code is n o t readily
    maintained or adapted.

    Best wishes

    Ian

    Ian Nimmo-Smith MRC Applied Psychology Unit
    15 Chaucer Road
    Tel: +44 223-355294 Cambridge CB2 2EF
    Fax: +44 223-359062 email: ian.nimmo-smith@mrc-apu.cam.ac.uk

    **** Taieb Argoubi's mail **********************************************

    Hello

    There is a public program called f2c .... you can get it from this public site:

    hpb.mcc.ac.uk in /pub/f2c/src

    Good luck

    ################################################## ###############
    # Med Taieb ARGOUBI, Graduate Student # Ecole Polytechnique #
    # Institut de Genie Biomedical # C.P. 6079, Succ. A #
    # e-mail: argoubi@grbb.polymtl.ca # Montreal H3C3A7, Canada #
    # Tel: (514) 340-4182 # Fax: (514) 340-4611 #
    ################################################## ###############

    **** John Peach's first mail ******************************************

    There is a program called F2C there is many FTP sites that have a copy of this
    program. I do not know right off the top of my head any specific site
    that has it. Use Archie and try to locate it. If you do not know how to
    due this I can do it for you. I have a meeting and cannot due it right
    now. Let me know if you want a search done.

    John

    * John P. Peach * Dalhousie Univerisy *
    * JPEACH@AC.DAL.CA * Halifax, Nova Scotia *
    * PEACH@UG.CS.DAL.CA * Canada *

    A public domain version is available from Netlib. See the
    'Introduction to Netlib', appended to this message. The Biomch-L
    archives for September 1991 and January 1992 contain some useful
    information about this particular translator software. Further
    comments are welcome.

    -- Ton van den Bogert, Biomch-L moderator