Re: Effect of frontal and transeverse plane crosstalk on Sagittalplane kinematic and kinetic data

  • Re: Effect of frontal and transeverse plane crosstalk on Sagittalplane kinematic and kinetic data

    Barthi

    Would you like me to email a paper I wrote for my MSc applied biomechanics
    on a similar subject. It looks at normal V's Genu valgum gait and the errors
    and limitations associated with the gait analysis.

    There can be massive errors associated with 2D saggital plane gait analysis
    when compared to 3D analysis. This includes qualitative and quantitative
    analysis. When the gait style is unusual this is much more compounded ie CP
    and hemiparetic gait where there is lots of frontal and transverse plane
    motion going on.

    The knee is one of the most difficult joints to reliably characterise in
    terms of kinetics and kinematics and the system and protocols of analysis
    must be extremely robust and reliable and leave little room for ambiguity.
    2D analysis cannot achieve this even though it can still give some useful
    data.

    I'm just writing another paper on the limitations of gait analysis in
    general if you would like to view that when its finished?

    Two books I have found very useful are:

    Gait analysis in normal and pathological gait, Perry J (Rancho Los Amigos)
    Slack Inc.

    Biomechanics and motor control of Human movement Winter D A wiley
    Interscience New York.

    In 3D analysis a lot of effort goes into identifying joint local axis and
    characterising joint centres of rotation, The location and centre of
    rotation defines the motion of the segment for a certain Joint angular RoM.
    This is not usually the case in 2D analysis where the joint axis is usually
    assumed to be aligned with the global axes frame of reference.

    For instance 3D analysis might identify 30dgs of knee flexion but also 45dgs
    of hip external rotation. What would the knee flexion look like from the
    saggital plane point of view, perhaps 15dgs flexion?? and how would you see
    the external hip rotation if the foot was internally rotated by 20dgs. Then
    what if also the knee local axis is 10dgs rotated in the frontal plane how
    will this affect RoM of the shank segment perhaps some apparent adduction in
    relation to the thigh. But this is not adduction in terms of the local knee
    axis. The same problems only more so appear in the ankle, STJ and MTJ where
    the local axes are extremely oblique.

    Gait analysis is a minefield of illusion waiting to trap and confuse the
    unwary.

    Cheers Dave Smith