Re: Normalisation of joint torques

  • Re: Normalisation of joint torques

    Susan

    Quote "I am keen to get a better understanding of why you would normalise
    your data to body height (and body mass) as surely the height of the
    subject/ body
    segment has already been taken into account during initial calculations."

    That's a good question, these are my thoughts:

    Normalisation is not normal. What I mean by that is that usually publishers
    only semi normalise data into a rate or ratio IE Nm/kg or watts/kg. This may
    be because it is more intuitive to read and understand that information than
    if the data were fully normalised into a dimensionless figure, which has no
    meaning on its own. This may be overcome if everybody fully normalised data.
    However it is probably beyond the ken of some to do this and it is not
    always useful. How one normalises data (or not) may depends on what it is
    you need to conclude from the results.
    IE it is pointless normalising pressure data for the plantar foot pressure
    if you are interested in peak pressure or pressure /time curves. Heavier or
    taller people are not likely to require higher pressures to cause tissue
    pathology as in diabetes for instance.

    In your case however I would think that normalising moments to height and
    weight may be advantageous ie Nm/ (kg x H). H = height or limb length (I
    like limb length better). If you required to look at the powers for the
    subjects then normalising power would look something like this
    (Watts/kg*(g*h)^1/2). g = gravity h = height.

    So if your subjects had a very wide range of hieght it is also likely that
    they also would have a wide range of limb length from shortest to longest.
    If you apply 100N to a 1000mm arm length then you have 100Nm external moment
    about the shoulder and a reciprocal internal moment produced by the muscle
    of 100Nm. But the same force on a short arm of 500mm has only 50Nm internal
    moment to produce the same effect. In this case there is static equilibrium
    and so no work or power is taking place in terms of physics. If you
    normalise to weight it might be likely that the smaller person is lighter
    but not necessarily proportionally. What if the short person is very fat and
    the tall person very lean and skinny and weights are the same eg 80kg.
    Normalised by weight the tall person achieves 100/80 = 1.25Nm/kg and the
    small person 50/80 = 0.625Nm/kg. Normalised by weight and height though, the
    tall person achieves (I'll use arm length here) 100/(80* 1) =1.25 and the
    small person achieves 50/(80*0.5) = 1.25. Are any of these values useful in
    terms of characterising how easily, or if, the subject is able to rise from
    the chair?

    So if we look at the torque produced by the elbow extensors about the elbow
    our 80kg subjects must produce min (40 * (9.81+acc of CoM)) Newtons of
    vertical force at the hand per arm to start to raise the bodyweight. Lets
    say this force is 420N i.e.10.5m/s/s*40kg => 420N * external Moment arm
    (forearm = 500mm and 250mm) = 210Nm and 105Nm external moments respectively.
    So therefore the extensors produce the equal and opposite torque or Internal
    Moments to balance for equilibrium. Are the muscles producing more force in
    the tall subject, perhaps not since the extensor lever arm is twice the
    length of the short arm. Let's say 50mm and 25mm so the muscles produce
    210/0.05 and 105/0.025 = 4200N. So the lifting force is equal and the muscle
    forces are equal but the moments are double for the tall man. (Four times if
    the small subject were half the tall subject's weight) So if you produce a
    table or graph that only shows values normalised to Nm/kg it might be
    intuitive to think that the tall subject could more easily raise his body
    weight than the short subject. You can see from the above however, that they
    both have the same acceleration of CoM. By normalising with weight and
    height or limb length the values are equal and it would be more intuitive to
    think that they have equal ability to raise their body weight.

    If the small subject were half the weight of the tall subject then half the
    force to raise the body would be required so therefore 20kg*10.5m/s/s = 210N
    * 0.25m = Ext moment of 52.5Nm. 52.5Nm/(40*0.25)= 5.25 and the same equation
    for the tall subject of 80kg = Ext moment 210Nm - 210Nm/(80*0.5)= 5.25.

    If the small subject is the same weight as the tall subject then the
    normalised value = 105Nm/80 = 1.31Nm/kg fully normalised value =
    105Nm/(80*0.25) = 5.25.

    Notice that Torque = 210Nm V's 105Nm V's 52.5Nm

    Semi normalised Torque = 2.625Nm/kg V's 1.31Nm/kg V's 1.31Nm/kg (notice the
    limb length variation make a differenc to the outcome)

    Normalised by weight and limb length = 5.25 V's 5.25 V's 5.25 (weight or
    limb length do not alter the outcome value but on its own what does 5.25
    represent?)

    So that it is likely that if the limb length is proportional to the height
    within a population then the fully normalised value will be the same for the
    same rate of CoM acceleration regardless of weight of the subject. Just to
    check that, suppose the tall man weighs in at 120kg.

    120*10.5 /2=630N/0.5=315N/(120*0.5) = 5.25

    Does that make sense Susan? I hope so. All the best Dave Smith