Re: Oscar Pistorius

  • Re: Oscar Pistorius

    Mr. Nigg

    The one thing that seems to be missing in your (hopefully tongue-in-cheek)
    request is the human/machine interface called a prosthetic socket. This is
    always custom made, usually by hand and creates an entire new set of issues
    that the biomechanics community, as far as I have read, has failed to
    acknowledge.

    No matter how well this section of the device is made, there will always be
    motion between the bones, soft tissues and socket materials, creating a
    pseudo-arthrosis, making it very difficult to calculate and standardize its
    impact on human performance. Anatomy, Body morphology, surgical procedure,
    cause limb loss and other human pathology will all have a significant impact
    on the ability to disperse and control the forces of walking and running
    irrespective of what ever technology is placed on the end of the prosthesis.

    By assuming that a prosthesis is merely a series of parts, is inaccurate,
    inappropriate and virtually ignores the most important variable which is the
    safe, comfortable and functional interface between a portion of the human
    limb that changes continuously, and a piece of plastic.

    Kudos to Mr. Pistorius for his human achievements.

    Gary M. Berke MS, CP, FAAOP
    Certified Prosthetist
    Adjunct Clinical Instructor, Orthopaedic Surgery Stanford University