Summary of responses to Shot PutBiomechanics

  • Summary of responses to Shot PutBiomechanics

    Dear BIOMCH-L'ers:

    On Jan. 25th, I posted a request concerning references and information
    on the biomechanics of the shot put event. What follows is my original
    request and a summary of the responses I received. My thanks to everyone
    who replied. The information has been very useful.

    John M. Barden

    Dear BIOMCH-L readers:

    I am looking for some references on the biomechanics of shot putting.
    Any information or suggestions are helpful but I am particularly
    interested in studies which reported parameters such as the velocity of
    the shot at release, the angle of release, joint angle data, total body
    centre of mass data, etc.

    I will post a summary. Thanks in advance for your help.

    John M. Barden
    Sport Science Coordinator
    Faculty of Physical Activity Studies
    University of Regina
    Regina, Saskatchewan
    CANADA S4S 0A2
    Internet: barden@max.cc.uregina.ca

    SUMMARY OF RESPONSES
    ********************

    Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 17:32:49 -0700
    To: barden@max.cc.uregina.ca
    From: l.abraham@mail.utexas.edu (Larry Abraham)
    Subject: shot putting

    >One place to start would be Jim Hay's text THE BIOMECHANICS OF SPORTS
    >TECHNIQUES publised by Prentice-Hall and now in its 4th edition. Hay also
    >has compiled and sold (himself) sport biomechanics bibliographies which are
    >very comprehensive. The 4th and 5th editions of that include over 40
    >references to shot putting.

    Larry Abraham, EdD
    Kinesiology & Health Education
    The University of Texas at Austin
    Austin, TX 78712 USA
    (512)471-1273 FAX (512)471-8914

    Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 08:28:04 -0400 (AST)
    From: Edwin Demont
    To: barden@max.cc.uregina.ca
    Subject: Re: Shot put references

    Hello. There are some references (and interesting ideas!)
    in The Human Machine, by R. McNeill Alexander (1992), Columbia
    University Press.

    Edwin DeMont
    Biology Department
    St. Francis Xavier University
    Antigonish, N.S.

    Email EDeMont@stfx.ca

    Date: Thu, 26 Jan 95 08:22:13 EST
    From: Diego Redondo
    Subject: Re: References on biomechanics of shot putting
    To: John Barden

    Contact Ray McCoy at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, VA.
    He has done some work on shot-putting, including some filming at the
    Olympic Games in Barcelona. He can be contacted at (804) 221-2783.
    Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 09:15:31 -0500 (EST)
    From: lori livingston F
    To: John Barden

    John,

    A good place to start would be J.G. Hay's (1993) text entitled The
    Biomechanics of Sports Techniques which is published by Prentice-Hall.
    There is a chapter on the throwing events in athletics, and he quite
    commonly provides references from scientific studies.

    I hope this is of some help.

    Lori A. Livingston, Ph.D.
    Department of Physical Education
    Wilfrid Laurier University
    Waterloo, Ontario
    N2L 3C5
    e-mail: llivings@mach1.wlu.ca
    phone: 519-884-0710, Ext. 4986
    Date: Thu, 26 Jan 95 08:51:28 EST
    From: carol widule
    To: John Barden

    John:

    Check John Bunn's Book. It's an old book, published in 1955 (I Think).
    Because my copy has walked off, I can't remember the exact title. But
    you should be able to find it listed through a library search.

    Sorry, I can't be more helpful.

    Carol J. Widule
    widule@vm.cc.purdue.edu
    Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 08:13:42 -0800
    To: John Barden
    From: dahawkins@ucdavis.edu (David Hawkins)

    John:
    You might try contacting Dr. Mont Hubbard at UC Davis, USA (916)
    752-6450. He did some work a few years back dealing with the flight of the
    shot put. Good Luck!

    David Hawkins, Ph.D.
    Biomechanics Lab UC Davis

    Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 11:45:01 -0500 (EST)
    From: hound-dog
    To: BARDEN%UREGINA1.bitnet@HEARN.NIC.SURFNET.NL

    check the journal of biomechanics. look for a volume (each year) which
    contains only abstracts from the yearly meeting. then check to see if
    those titles have been published as article already. i have seen
    numerous abstracts in the area of all the field events and other sports
    activities (gymnastics, swimming, etc...).

    Matt Rupert rupertmp@ucunix.san.uc.edu
    Department of Aerospace Engineering
    and Engineering Mechanics
    University of Cincinnati, Ohio

    Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 12:57:17 -0500
    From: Hunt895WR@aol.com
    To: barden@max.cc.uregina.ca
    Subject: Re: SP biomecanics

    John,

    E-mail Dr. Jim Hay at the Univ of Iowa (JGHAY@vaxa.weeg.uiowa.edu) he will
    be able to put you in touch with the materials you need. An alternative
    would be to call Dr. Harmon Brown at Cal State Hayward (A Code 510). Harmon
    is the Sports Sciences coordinator here in the states and would be aware of
    any of the material you are requesting.

    Randy Huntington
    hunt895wr @aol.com

    From: Gideon Ariel, Ph.D.
    To: John Barden (barden@max.cc.uregina.ca)
    Subject: Shot Put Biomechanics

    1. Ariel, G.B. "Biomechanical Analysis of the Shotput Utilizing the
    Center of Gravity Displacement," Track and Field Quarterly Review, 73:
    207-210, 1973.

    2. Ariel, G.B. Computer Analysis of Track Biomechanics," Track
    Technique, 50: 1597-1598, 1972

    3. Ariel, G.B. "Computerized Biomechanical Analysis of Track and
    Field Athletics Utilized by the Olympic Training Camp for Throwing
    Events," Track and Field Quarterly Review, 72: 99-103, 1972.

    4. Ariel, G.B. "Coputerized Biomechanical Analysis of the World's
    Best Shotputters," Track and Field Quarterly Review, 73: 199-206, 1973.

    Good Luck
    Gideon Ariel, Ph.D.

    From: ALEXANDR@bldgken.lan1.umanitoba.ca
    To: barden@max.cc.uregina.ca
    Date: Thu, 26 Jan 95 09:43:00 PST

    I have done several studies on the shot put event, one has just been
    published, the other is in review. I have also compiled a reference list of
    most of the studies on the biomechanics of the shot put. I will send these to
    you via snail mail, as it will be easier for me than trying to load all this
    info onto the internet. If you have any specific questions on the mechanics
    of the event, I have studied it quite extensively, and may be able to help
    you. Are you conducting research into the mechanics of the event?
    Good luck with your search,
    Marion Alexander